Dec 21, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
Former Nationals catcher Kurt Suzuki has a new home for 2014. The 30-year-old backstop has joined the Twins on a one-year deal, a day after Minnesota traded Ryan Doumit to the Braves. The San Francisco Chronicle first reported the news.
Suzuki will earn $2.75 million next season playing for his third team in two years. Last year he made over $6 million splitting time in Oakland and Washington.
The Nationals acquired Suzuki in August of 2012 from the A’s and traded him back in August of 2013. He appeared in 122 total games for the Nats and was a member of their NL East-winning club two seasons ago.
A seven-year MLB veteran, Suzuki has a .253 career batting average. He hit .239 across two seasons with the Nationals with a .641 OPS.
Suzuki was a backup for the oft-injured Wilson Ramos, but once Ramos established himself, Suzuki was available for trade. The Nationals shipped him to Oakland for minor league pitcher Dakota Bacus.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?