Dec 30, 2013, 7:29 PM EDT
The Nationals have re-signed Will Rhymes to a minor-league contract, giving the 30-year-old infielder an invitation to big-league spring training, according to his agency.
Rhymes, who played at the College of William and Mary, was at Nationals camp last spring and wound up spending the season at Class AAA Syracuse. He hit .274 with a .360 on-base percentage in 133 games, playing primarily at second base.
A veteran of 132 major-league games with the Tigers and Rays, Rhymes provides some veteran infield depth and could compete with Danny Espinosa for a spot on the Nationals’ bench. One potential hang-up: He has only minimal experience at shortstop, none in the big leagues, and the Nats would probably need their utility infielder to be able to back up Ian Desmond.
Rhymes is represented by the Beverly Hills Sports Council, which announced his signing with the Nationals.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win