Jan 4, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
Former Nationals outfielder Nyjer Morgan is attempting a comeback to the major leagues.
The 33-year-old with the nickname ‘Tony Plush’ spent last season with the Yokohama DeNa BayStars in Japan. He last played in the majors for the Brewers in 2012.
Morgan put up some decent numbers in his one season overseas, hitting 11 home runs in 108 games according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN who first reported his hopes to return. For a comparison, Morgan has exactly 11 career homers in 583 total MLB games.
Morgan’s agent told Crasnick that 6-8 teams have expressed interest in the former National. It’s unclear whether he has a legitimate shot at a major league deal or if a minor league contract is his best bet.
Morgan played parts of two seasons in Washington, coming over in a trade from the Pirates and leaving in a trade to join Milwaukee. He has a .280 career batting average and 117 stolen bases in six seasons.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate