Jan 7, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
2013 record: 96-66, 1st place in NL East
Manager: Fredi Gonzalez, 4th season
Estimated 2014 payroll: $90 million
Key additions: RHP Gavin Floyd, C/OF Ryan Doumit
Key losses: C Brian McCann, RHP Tim Hudson, LHP Paul Maholm, OF Reed Johnson
RF Jason Heyward
LF Justin Upton
1B Freddie Freeman
C Evan Gattis
3B Chris Johnson
SS Andrelton Simmons
2B Dan Uggla
CF B.J. Upton
LHP Mike Minor
RHP Kris Medlen
RHP Julio Teheran
RHP Brandon Beachy
LHP Alex Wood
CL Craig Kimbrel
RHP David Carpenter
LHP Luis Avilan
Biggest questions entering 2014
1. Can they overcome the loss of Brian McCann? There’s no debating McCann’s significance to the Braves over the years, and it’s impossible to believe they can make up for his departure to the Yankees. Evan Gattis will get a chance to play almost every day, but he’s going to be a significant downgrade behind the plate.
2. Can B.J. Upton and Dan Uggla bounce back? Two of Atlanta’s three highest-paid players last season were among the most underachieving players in the majors. Upton hit .184 with a pathetic .557 OPS and was benched for the playoffs. Uggla hit .179 and was dropped from the playoff roster altogether. Can the Braves get away with those kind of performances again in 2014?
3. Will the lack of a true ace hurt them? The Braves have five quality starters, but is Mike Minor (career 32-24, 3.90 ERA) a real No. 1 guy? Probably not. The departed Tim Hudson may not be what he once was, but there’s no question how important he was to Atlanta’s staff. Somebody needs to step up as the leader of this group.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs