Jan 10, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
The Nationals and Stephen Strasburg agreed to terms Friday night on a $3.975 million contract for 2014, avoiding arbitration.
Strasburg was arbitration-eligible for the first time in his career, giving him the right to negotiate his salary. If the right-hander and the club couldn’t settle on terms before Tuesday’s deadline, he would have filed for arbitration and the two sides would have submitted competing offers next Friday, setting a date for a hearing in February before a three-person panel.
Thus, Strasburg and the Nationals avoided a potentially messy arbitration process by finding common ground now.
Strasburg will earn a base salary of $3.975 million this year, with performance incentives, according to a source familiar with the contract. That’s only a slight raise from his $3.9 million in 2013, but the figure is based more on comparable arbitration-eligible players, not his previous salary (which was significantly higher than most comparable players because he signed a large, guaranteed deal upon getting drafted in 2009).
Strasburg will have two more seasons of arbitration-eligibility. Unless he signs a long-term extension at some point, he’ll become a free agent after the 2016 season.
With Strasburg signed, the Nationals have eight remaining unsigned arbitration-eligible players: pitchers Jordan Zimmermann, Doug Fister, Ross Detwiler, Tyler Clippard, Drew Storen and Jerry Blevins, shortstop Ian Desmond and catcher Wilson Ramos.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason