Jan 13, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
2013 record: 92-70, 2nd place in AL Central
Manager: Terry Francona, 2nd season
Estimated 2014 payroll: $82 million
Key additions: OF David Murphy, RHP John Axford, LHP Josh Outman
Key losses: RHP Ubaldo Jimenez, LHP Scott Kazmir, OF Drew Stubbs, OF Jason Kubel, RHP Chris Perez, RHP Joe Smith
CF Michael Bourn
1B Nick Swisher
2B Jason Kipnis
DH Carlos Santana
LF Michael Brantley
SS Asdrubal Cabrera
RF David Murphy
C Yan Gomes
3B Lonnie Chisenhall
RHP Justin Masterson
RHP Corey Kluber
RHP Zach McAllister
RHP Danny Salazar
RHP Carlos Carrasco
CL John Axford
RHP Cody Allen
RHP Vinnie Pestano
Biggest questions entering 2014
1. Can they make up for the losses of Ubaldo Jimenez and Scott Kazmir? The Indians’ surprising success last season was in no small part made possible by the resurrection of both starters’ careers. Each is gone now, though, so Cleveland will need to fill the gap. There are several promising young arms in the mix, headlined by Corey Kluber, Danny Salazar and Zach McAllister. At least two of those guys need to step up and seize the opportunity.
2. Can John Axford return to top closer form? The Indians also lost several key arms out of their bullpen, including former closer Chris Perez and setup man Joe Smith. Who fills that void? Enter John Axford, the onetime closer of the Brewers who lost his job in Milwaukee but then became part of the Cardinals’ postseason bullpen in October. If Axford can rediscover his top form, the Indians will be well-positioned to close out tight ballgames.
3. How much do Michael Bourn and Nick Swisher have left in the tank? The Indians weren’t known for going out and spending big money on free agents, but they made two big splashes last winter, bringing in Michael Bourn and Nick Swisher. Which each contributed to the club’s 92-win season, neither performed up to career norms. Can they revert back into the guys Cleveland thought it was getting, or was this the start of an inevitable decline in production from both veterans?
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins
- Mets set plan for Harvey with Strasburg in mind
- Point/Counterpoint: Will Nats regret Zim's contract?
- Report: Marlins showing strong interest in LaRoche
- Nats minor league coordinator Beasley leaves for Rangers
- Former Nats RP Duke gets paid after career turnaround
- Braves to meet with top free agent Jon Lester