Jan 14, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Eight Nationals players filed for arbitration this evening, a procedural step toward determining their 2014 salaries.
Right-handers Jordan Zimmermann, Doug Fister, Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard, left-handers Ross Detwiler and Jerry Blevins, shortstop Ian Desmond and catcher Wilson Ramos all officially filed paperwork, according to the MLB Players’ Association.
Those players and the Nationals must submit competing salary figures on Thursday, figures that ultimately would be presented before an arbitration panel during hearings next month.
The two sides are free to continue negotiating and agree to terms on their own at any point between now and the February hearings, and most cases are settled without ever going to arbitration.
The Nationals previously agreed to terms with two other arbitration-eligible players: Stephen Strasburg ($3.975 million) and Ross Ohlendorf ($1.25 million).
Players are eligible for arbitration when they have accrued 3 to 6 years of major-league service time, plus a handful of players with fewer experience (referred to as “Super 2″ players).
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1