Jan 14, 2014, 7:32 PM EST
Eight Nationals players filed for arbitration this evening, a procedural step toward determining their 2014 salaries.
Right-handers Jordan Zimmermann, Doug Fister, Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard, left-handers Ross Detwiler and Jerry Blevins, shortstop Ian Desmond and catcher Wilson Ramos all officially filed paperwork, according to the MLB Players’ Association.
Those players and the Nationals must submit competing salary figures on Thursday, figures that ultimately would be presented before an arbitration panel during hearings next month.
The two sides are free to continue negotiating and agree to terms on their own at any point between now and the February hearings, and most cases are settled without ever going to arbitration.
The Nationals previously agreed to terms with two other arbitration-eligible players: Stephen Strasburg ($3.975 million) and Ross Ohlendorf ($1.25 million).
Players are eligible for arbitration when they have accrued 3 to 6 years of major-league service time, plus a handful of players with fewer experience (referred to as “Super 2″ players).
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats
- A year older, Rendon ready for the long grind
- Nats' minor league affiliate gets new ownership
- Harper on Nats signing Scherzer: 'Where's my ring?'
- Report: Ichiro happy to be away from Yankees' manager Girardi
- Full roster has reported, but Werth still rehabbing
- Wilson Ramos talks Nats' stacked rotation, personal goals