Jan 15, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
The Nationals have extended their longstanding affiliation with Class AA Harrisburg, signing a new, 4-year contract that will keep the two clubs connected through 2018.
The Senators already were contracted with the Nationals through this upcoming season, but by reaching agreement now on a long-term extension the two sides guarantee there won’t be any threat of a break-up.
Harrisburg has served as the franchise’s Class AA affiliate since 1991 and made the transition with the club during its 2005 relocation from Montreal to Washington. The Nationals have enjoyed the relationship, particularly the short, 2-hour drive between Nationals Park and Metro Bank Park.
“Our partnership with Harrisburg and the Senators dates back more than 20 years, and it is with that history in mind that we are excited to sign on with them for another four,” general manager Mike Rizzo said in a statement. “Harrisburg is an Eastern League gem, and we are proud to continue our association with a team, and a town, that have such rich baseball histories.
“From a baseball standpoint, the Senators have served as a fantastic breeding ground for some of our organization’s most talented players, and helped launch the major-league careers of many. The Senators connection in our clubhouse runs deep.”
This agreement comes one month after the Nationals agreed to a similar, 4-year extension with Class AAA Syracuse that also runs through 2018.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito