Jan 16, 2014, 10:42 PM EDT
Ross Detwiler and the Nationals came to terms on a 2014 contract Thursday night, avoiding arbitration only 24 hours before they would have been required to submit competing salary figures.
Detwiler will earn $3 million this season, a modest raise from his 2013 salary of $2.3375 million, according to sources familiar with the contract. The deal includes a $50,000 performance bonus if he pitches at least 180 innings.
Detwiler would have been in line for an even bigger raise in his second year of arbitration-eligibility, but a lingering back injury derailed his season and limited him to only 13 starts. The left-hander wound up going 2-7 with a 4.04 ERA, making his final start of the year on July 3.
Detwiler was one of eight Nationals players who filed for arbitration on Tuesday. His new deal leaves seven others who must either come to terms by Friday evening or else submit dueling salary figures with the Nationals to Major League Baseball: Jordan Zimmermann, Doug Fister, Ian Desmond, Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard, Jerry Blevins and Wilson Ramos.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss