Jan 17, 2014, 9:10 PM EST
Unable to come to terms on contracts before Friday’s 1 p.m. deadline, right-handers Tyler Clippard and Doug Fister and the Nationals formally filed dueling arbitration figures to Major League Baseball headquarters.
Hearings before a three-judge panel will be set for next month, though both players and the Nationals are free to continue negotiating and could settle on salary figures on their own anytime before then.
Clippard is in the third of four seasons of arbitration eligibility, having qualified as a “Super 2” player in 2012. He made $4 million last year and is seeking $6.35 million in 2014; the Nationals countered with an offer of $4.45 million.
Fister, acquired from the Tigers in December for Steve Lombardozzi, Ian Krol and Robbie Ray, is in the second of three arbitration seasons, having earned $4 million last year in Detroit. He is seeking an $8.5 million salary in 2014. The Nationals have offered $5.5 million, a significant gap.
Clippard and Fister were the only two of Washington’s 10 arbitration-eligible players who were unable to sign before Friday’s deadline. Ross Ohlendorf ($1.25 million) signed in December. Stephen Strasburg ($3.975 million) signed last week. Ross Detwiler ($3 million) signed late Thursday night. Jordan Zimmermann (2 years, $24 million), Ian Desmond (2 years, $17.5 million), Drew Storen ($3.45 million), Wilson Ramos ($2.095 million) and Jerry Blevins (unknown) all signed Friday before the deadline.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?