Jan 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
2013 record: 92-70, 1st place in NL West
Manager: Don Mattingly, 4th season
Estimated 2014 payroll: $230 million
Key additions: 2B Alexander Guerrero, RHP Dan Haren, RHP Chris Perez
Key losses: 2B Mark Ellis, INF Nick Punto, RHP Ricky Nolasco, RHP Edinson Volquez
LF Carl Crawford
RF Yasiel Puig
SS Hanley Ramirez
1B Adrian Gonzalez
CF Matt Kemp
3B Juan Uribe
C A.J. Ellis
2B Alexander Guerrero
LHP Clayton Kershaw
RHP Zack Greinke
LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu
RHP Josh Beckett
RHP Dan Haren
CL Kenley Jansen
RHP Brian Wilson
RHP Chris Perez
Biggest questions entering 2014
1. Is Matt Kemp healthy? If healthy, Kemp is one of the best all-around players in baseball. But he wasn’t healthy at all in 2013, appearing in only 73 games due to shoulder and ankle injuries. Kemp hopes to be 100 percent for spring training, but there’s still no guarantee. The Dodgers have four outfielders (Kemp, Puig, Crawford, Andre Ethier) and only three starting jobs. But before they can proceed, they need to know if Kemp is capable of playing every day.
2. Will Dan Haren return to form on the West Coast? Last year was a disaster for Haren, who was awful in his only season with the Nationals. He admitted how tough it was to pitch on the East Coast for the first time in his career, so this winter he signed with the Dodgers, giving him a chance to return home and stay close to his family. Will that result in a return to his previous career norms, or is Haren simply finished?
3. Can Yasiel Puig stay out of trouble? There was no more electrifying player in baseball last season than Puig, and there was no more controversial player in baseball last season than Puig. There’s no denying his talent, nor his flair for the dramatic. The Dodgers, though, have spent far too much time trying to rein in the charismatic (possibly immature) outfielder. Puig’s focus, and the Dodgers’ focus, needs to be on the field. Will that be possible?
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals
- Rizzo happy to bring reliever Sean Burnett back to Nats