Jan 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
2013 record: 92-70, 1st place in NL West
Manager: Don Mattingly, 4th season
Estimated 2014 payroll: $230 million
Key additions: 2B Alexander Guerrero, RHP Dan Haren, RHP Chris Perez
Key losses: 2B Mark Ellis, INF Nick Punto, RHP Ricky Nolasco, RHP Edinson Volquez
LF Carl Crawford
RF Yasiel Puig
SS Hanley Ramirez
1B Adrian Gonzalez
CF Matt Kemp
3B Juan Uribe
C A.J. Ellis
2B Alexander Guerrero
LHP Clayton Kershaw
RHP Zack Greinke
LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu
RHP Josh Beckett
RHP Dan Haren
CL Kenley Jansen
RHP Brian Wilson
RHP Chris Perez
Biggest questions entering 2014
1. Is Matt Kemp healthy? If healthy, Kemp is one of the best all-around players in baseball. But he wasn’t healthy at all in 2013, appearing in only 73 games due to shoulder and ankle injuries. Kemp hopes to be 100 percent for spring training, but there’s still no guarantee. The Dodgers have four outfielders (Kemp, Puig, Crawford, Andre Ethier) and only three starting jobs. But before they can proceed, they need to know if Kemp is capable of playing every day.
2. Will Dan Haren return to form on the West Coast? Last year was a disaster for Haren, who was awful in his only season with the Nationals. He admitted how tough it was to pitch on the East Coast for the first time in his career, so this winter he signed with the Dodgers, giving him a chance to return home and stay close to his family. Will that result in a return to his previous career norms, or is Haren simply finished?
3. Can Yasiel Puig stay out of trouble? There was no more electrifying player in baseball last season than Puig, and there was no more controversial player in baseball last season than Puig. There’s no denying his talent, nor his flair for the dramatic. The Dodgers, though, have spent far too much time trying to rein in the charismatic (possibly immature) outfielder. Puig’s focus, and the Dodgers’ focus, needs to be on the field. Will that be possible?
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent