Jan 21, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
The Nationals have signed right-hander Clay Hensley to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, adding a veteran reliever to the competition for the one or two jobs that will be up for grabs in Viera.
Hensley, 34, is a veteran of seven major-league seasons and sports a 4.00 ERA in 271 career appearances (41 starts) with the Padres, Marlins and Giants. He posted a 2.16 ERA as recently as 2010, when he pitched in 68 games and notched seven saves for Florida.
Hensley, perhaps best known for giving up Barry Bonds’ record-tying 755th home run in 2007, did not pitch in the majors last year. He opened 2013 with the Reds’ Class AAA affiliate in Louisville but was released after posting a 4.00 ERA in 15 games. He then appeared in four games for the Brewers at Class AAA Nashville before again getting released.
Hensley re-established himself pitching for the independent Sugar Land Skeeters, where he allowed only one run and four hits in 14 1/3 innings.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best