Jan 21, 2014, 6:28 PM EST
The Nationals have signed right-hander Clay Hensley to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, adding a veteran reliever to the competition for the one or two jobs that will be up for grabs in Viera.
Hensley, 34, is a veteran of seven major-league seasons and sports a 4.00 ERA in 271 career appearances (41 starts) with the Padres, Marlins and Giants. He posted a 2.16 ERA as recently as 2010, when he pitched in 68 games and notched seven saves for Florida.
Hensley, perhaps best known for giving up Barry Bonds’ record-tying 755th home run in 2007, did not pitch in the majors last year. He opened 2013 with the Reds’ Class AAA affiliate in Louisville but was released after posting a 4.00 ERA in 15 games. He then appeared in four games for the Brewers at Class AAA Nashville before again getting released.
Hensley re-established himself pitching for the independent Sugar Land Skeeters, where he allowed only one run and four hits in 14 1/3 innings.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day