Jan 21, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
The Nationals have signed right-hander Clay Hensley to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, adding a veteran reliever to the competition for the one or two jobs that will be up for grabs in Viera.
Hensley, 34, is a veteran of seven major-league seasons and sports a 4.00 ERA in 271 career appearances (41 starts) with the Padres, Marlins and Giants. He posted a 2.16 ERA as recently as 2010, when he pitched in 68 games and notched seven saves for Florida.
Hensley, perhaps best known for giving up Barry Bonds’ record-tying 755th home run in 2007, did not pitch in the majors last year. He opened 2013 with the Reds’ Class AAA affiliate in Louisville but was released after posting a 4.00 ERA in 15 games. He then appeared in four games for the Brewers at Class AAA Nashville before again getting released.
Hensley re-established himself pitching for the independent Sugar Land Skeeters, where he allowed only one run and four hits in 14 1/3 innings.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season