Jan 24, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
Nationals manager Matt Williams sat down with Brian Mitchell on Thursday night for a one-on-one interview as part of SportsTalk Live’s ‘Open Mic’ segment. Williams looked ahead to this weekend’s NatsFest, as well as the new season, giving a preview of what to expect over the next few weeks as the team reports to spring training in Viera, Fla.
Williams talked about the final rotation spot and how he expects it to be an “open competition.”
“We have a number of guys capable of filling that position,” he said.
Williams also discussed keeping Bryce Harper healthy and on the field, saying the objective is for Harper to play a full “182 games.” Williams was alluding to the team’s hopes for an extended postseason run.
In the end Williams and Mitchell have some fun talking about the former Redskins player potentially throwing out a first pitch at Nats Park this season. Williams is all for it, but he wants Mitchell to prove himself first in spring training, in a week-long “boot camp” to make sure his arm is in shape.
“Then we can evaluate you like any other player,” he said.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants