Jan 24, 2014, 9:28 AM EST
Nationals manager Matt Williams sat down with Brian Mitchell on Thursday night for a one-on-one interview as part of SportsTalk Live’s ‘Open Mic’ segment. Williams looked ahead to this weekend’s NatsFest, as well as the new season, giving a preview of what to expect over the next few weeks as the team reports to spring training in Viera, Fla.
Williams talked about the final rotation spot and how he expects it to be an “open competition.”
“We have a number of guys capable of filling that position,” he said.
Williams also discussed keeping Bryce Harper healthy and on the field, saying the objective is for Harper to play a full “182 games.” Williams was alluding to the team’s hopes for an extended postseason run.
In the end Williams and Mitchell have some fun talking about the former Redskins player potentially throwing out a first pitch at Nats Park this season. Williams is all for it, but he wants Mitchell to prove himself first in spring training, in a week-long “boot camp” to make sure his arm is in shape.
“Then we can evaluate you like any other player,” he said.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach