Feb 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
[Updated 12:07 p.m.]
The Nationals have agreed to terms with starting pitcher Doug Fister on a contract for 2014 to avoid arbitration, the team announced on Saturday.
The deal leaves Tyler Clippard as the only Nats player yet to reach an agreement for this season. Fister and Clippard were among eight different Nationals who filed for arbitration on Jan. 14.
Fister will receive $7.2 million in 2014 with an extra $100,000 in incentives based on innings pitched. Joel Sherman of the New York Post first had the financial details.
Fister filed on Jan. 17 for $8.5 million. The Nationals countered with $5.5 million, leaving significant room between them. They ended up slightly closer to Fister’s asking price.
Fister joined the Nationals in a Dec. 2 trade with the Tigers. In exchange the Nationals sent prospect Robbie Ray, reliever Ian Krol and infielder Steve Lombardozzi to Detroit.
Fister, a five-year pro, holds a 3.53 career ERA across 130 total appearances. In 2013 he went 14-9 with a 3.67 ERA in 208 2/3 innings pitched with the Tigers.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort