Feb 2, 2014, 12:43 PM EST
2013 record: 71-91, 4th place in AL West
Manager: Lloyd McClendon, 1st season
Estimated 2014 payroll: $82 million
Key additions: 2B Robinson Cano, OF Corey Hart, OF Logan Morrison, RHP Scott Baker, C John Buck
Key losses: 1B Kendrys Morales, OF Raul Ibanez, LHP Joe Saunders, LHP Oliver Perez
CF Dustin Ackley
3B Kyle Seager
2B Robinson Cano
DH Corey Hart
1B Justin Smoak
LF Logan Morrison
RF Michael Saunders
C Mike Zunino
SS Brad Miller
RHP Felix Hernandez
RHP Hisashi Iwakuma
RHP Taijuan Walker
RHP Scott Baker
LHP James Paxton
CL Danny Farquhar
RHP Tom Wilhelmsen
LHP Charlie Furbush
Biggest questions entering 2014
1. Who will hit besides Robinson Cano? The Mariners made the biggest splash of the winter, signing free agent Robinson Cano to a 10-year, $240 million mega-contract. But Cano alone isn’t going to carry the AL’s least-productive lineup. Seattle needs another free agent addition, Corey Hart, to provide protection out of the cleanup spot. And it needs Justin Smoak, Kyle Seager and Dustin Ackley to realize their full potential and bring some depth to a lineup that looks like it’s going to have to rely on its highest-paid player too much.
2. Can Dustin Ackley play center field? Cano’s signing bumps Ackley from second base to center field, where he saw some playing time last year. The 26-year-old is going to have to prove he can man the position every day in a respectable manner; otherwise, there isn’t another obvious spot to play him.
3. Is Taijuan Walker the real deal? Any chance the M’s had of trading for David Price this winter was dashed when it became clear they were not going to deal away their top prospect in any proposal. Is the 21-year-old right-hander legit? His stats last season at Class AA and Class AAA weren’t overwhelming, but clearly Seattle sees great things in him. It’s time to find out if the organization knew what it was talking about.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?