Feb 2, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Jayson Werth joined Mark for a one-on-one interview at last weekend’s Nats Fest, and as usual provided a great perspective on the state of the team. He thinks the Nationals underachieved last season, but could be better off now because of their struggles.
“We grew a lot as a team, we learned a lot as a team. Our younger players gained experience,” he said. “I just think we learned a lot last year and that’s going to help us moving forward.”
Werth also talked about the continued growth of the Nationals’ fanbase and what he expects from Matt Williams in his first year as manager.
Check the video out here:
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience