Feb 5, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Adding yet another catching option as a backup to Wilson Ramos, the Nationals have signed Koyie Hill to a minor-league contract, offering the veteran an invitation to big-league camp.
Hill, who turns 35 in March, is a career .206 hitter in parts of 10 major-league seasons with the Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Cubs and Marlins. He appeared in 18 games for Miami last season after spending time with three different organizations in 2012. Included in that time was a stint with the Nationals’ Class AAA affiliate in Syracuse, where he hit .163 in 31 games.
Hill joins a growing list of catchers the Nationals will bring to spring training, all of them competing to serve as Ramos’ backup come Opening Day. Jhonatan Solano, who has appeared in 36 games for Washington over the last two seasons, is the likely frontrunner heading into camp, with fellow prospect Sandy Leon also in the mix.
If the Nationals prefer a veteran No. 2 catcher, they’ll have options between Hill and Chris Snyder (a career .224 hitter in 10 seasons with the Diamondbacks, Pirates, Astros and Orioles).
The Nats also have invited organizational catchers Brian Jeroloman and Jeff Howell to big-league camp.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"
- Another Nats injury: Zimmerman banged up on diving play at first
- Former Nats All-Star wins closer job with Oakland Athletics
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers