Feb 5, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Adding yet another catching option as a backup to Wilson Ramos, the Nationals have signed Koyie Hill to a minor-league contract, offering the veteran an invitation to big-league camp.
Hill, who turns 35 in March, is a career .206 hitter in parts of 10 major-league seasons with the Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Cubs and Marlins. He appeared in 18 games for Miami last season after spending time with three different organizations in 2012. Included in that time was a stint with the Nationals’ Class AAA affiliate in Syracuse, where he hit .163 in 31 games.
Hill joins a growing list of catchers the Nationals will bring to spring training, all of them competing to serve as Ramos’ backup come Opening Day. Jhonatan Solano, who has appeared in 36 games for Washington over the last two seasons, is the likely frontrunner heading into camp, with fellow prospect Sandy Leon also in the mix.
If the Nationals prefer a veteran No. 2 catcher, they’ll have options between Hill and Chris Snyder (a career .224 hitter in 10 seasons with the Diamondbacks, Pirates, Astros and Orioles).
The Nats also have invited organizational catchers Brian Jeroloman and Jeff Howell to big-league camp.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown