Feb 5, 2014, 11:03 AM EST
Adding yet another catching option as a backup to Wilson Ramos, the Nationals have signed Koyie Hill to a minor-league contract, offering the veteran an invitation to big-league camp.
Hill, who turns 35 in March, is a career .206 hitter in parts of 10 major-league seasons with the Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Cubs and Marlins. He appeared in 18 games for Miami last season after spending time with three different organizations in 2012. Included in that time was a stint with the Nationals’ Class AAA affiliate in Syracuse, where he hit .163 in 31 games.
Hill joins a growing list of catchers the Nationals will bring to spring training, all of them competing to serve as Ramos’ backup come Opening Day. Jhonatan Solano, who has appeared in 36 games for Washington over the last two seasons, is the likely frontrunner heading into camp, with fellow prospect Sandy Leon also in the mix.
If the Nationals prefer a veteran No. 2 catcher, they’ll have options between Hill and Chris Snyder (a career .224 hitter in 10 seasons with the Diamondbacks, Pirates, Astros and Orioles).
The Nats also have invited organizational catchers Brian Jeroloman and Jeff Howell to big-league camp.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day