Feb 10, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
The Nationals and Tyler Clippard agreed to salary terms today, thus avoiding an arbitration hearing that was scheduled to take place Feb. 17 in Florida.
Clippard will make $5.875 million this season, according to CBSsports.com, settling on a number that was higher than the midpoint of the two sides’ formal arbitration offers last month.
Clippard, who made $4 million last season, was seeking $6.35 million. The Nationals were offering $4.45 million.
Today’s settlement resolves all 10 of the Nationals’ arbitration cases for the winter and ensures the club won’t go to any hearings for the second straight year.
The Nationals now have 22 players under contract for 2014, with those salaries totaling nearly $130 million. Their Opening Day payroll in 2013 was $118 million, a franchise record at the time.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Breaking down the Nats and Giants season series
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?