Feb 13, 2014, 9:46 AM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Hey, where’s all the snow?
Sorry, I promise this will be the last time I compare the weather in Florida to the weather in D.C. (Fingers crossed behind my back.) Believe me, I’m very fortunate to be writing this from venerable Space Coast Stadium, my flight late last night having barely beaten the heavy snow you’re all dealing with this morning. We took off at midnight, in blizzard-like conditions. There appeared to be only one other plane cleared to depart behind us. Kudos to the folks at United Airlines and Dulles Airport for somehow getting the job done.
It’s officially baseball season again, and if that doesn’t bring some warmth to your otherwise miserable day, I don’t know what will. Nationals pitchers and catchers are due to report to Viera today, though many of them (plus quite a few position players) have already been here for several days getting a jump on things.
There’s no formal activity scheduled for today. Pitchers and catchers are merely required to arrive in town. (Several guys are currently playing catch in the outfield, though.) They’ll take their physicals tomorrow — thank god, by the way, they don’t make beat writers take physicals — and then assemble for their first actual workout Saturday morning under the guidance of new manager Matt Williams.
I’ll have plenty more throughout the day, and for many more days to come. To give you my itinerary, I’ll be down here through March 2, with our CSN TV crew joining me Saturday for a full week. I’ll then return March 19 for the remainder of camp.
As always, there will be lots of articles posted here each day. You can also get instant news updates (and other witty observations) from me via Twitter. As I said, I’ll be appearing on CSN starting Saturday, with many of those video segments posted right here the next morning. And I’m excited to begin another season with ESPN-980 AM, appearing six days a week on their various shows. (Check the updated 2014 schedule on the right side of the page.)
And with that, I’m headed down to the clubhouse to see who’s here. Check back throughout the day for updates…
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Rivero build off strong rookie year?
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?