Feb 14, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals added another name to the competition for the final spot or two in their bullpen, this one quite familiar to one of their biggest stars.
Washington signed right-hander Josh Roenicke to a minor-league contract, with an invitation to big-league camp. Roenicke, owner of a 4.17 ERA in 190 career games with the Reds, Blue Jays, Rockies and Twins, just so happens to be Ian Desmond’s brother-in-law.
The 31-year-old reliever saw significant action in Colorado and Minnesota the last two seasons, posting a combined 7-3 record and 3.70 ERA in 126 appearances, though his walk rate (5.2 per nine innings) was an area of concern.
Baseball runs deep in the Roenicke family. His father, Gary, played outfield for the Orioles in the 1980s. His uncle, Ron, is entering his fourth season as Brewers manager.
And, of course, there’s the connection with Desmond. Roenicke first men Ian’s sister, Nicole, in 2006 while playing in the minors in Sarasota, Fla. (where the Desmonds grew up). The two were married in 2010.
Desmond has faced Roenicke three times in his career, all in 2012 while Josh pitched for the Rockies. Desmond tripled in his first at-bat. He then homered his next time up. Roenicke finally got his brother-in-law to ground out in their third encounter.
“Can’t beat em’ join em’,” Desmond tweeted at Roenicke after the news was announced this afternoon.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)