Feb 15, 2014, 9:24 AM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Yes, there’s a much more significant sporting event taking place in the world right now — a bunch of Nationals players were glued to the second period of USA-Russia in the clubhouse at Space Coast Stadium, Ross Detwiler and Tyler Clippard chief among them — but there’s also going to be real baseball players doing real baseball things on the field in just a few minutes.
Yes, the first official pitchers and catchers workout of the spring will begin at 10 a.m., on the fields adjacent to Space Coast Stadium. It’s Matt Williams’ first workout as a big-league manager, and you better believe he’s prepared for this.
If you happen to be in the area and plan to attend, here’s an abridged version of today’s schedule. The daily schedule moving forward will be similar to this, at least until the position players officially join the fray on Thursday…
10 a.m. — Stretch
10:15 a.m. — Warm-up
10:45 a.m. — Pitchers throw in the bullpen, plus fundamental drills begin (Among those throwing off the mounds today are Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister and Taylor Jordan. Anyone who doesn’t throw today will throw tomorrow.)
11:40 a.m. — Pitchers conditioning
12 p.m. — Catchers BP
1 p.m. — Early position players BP
We’ll have plenty more throughout the day, so please check back…
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers