Feb 15, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Yes, there’s a much more significant sporting event taking place in the world right now — a bunch of Nationals players were glued to the second period of USA-Russia in the clubhouse at Space Coast Stadium, Ross Detwiler and Tyler Clippard chief among them — but there’s also going to be real baseball players doing real baseball things on the field in just a few minutes.
Yes, the first official pitchers and catchers workout of the spring will begin at 10 a.m., on the fields adjacent to Space Coast Stadium. It’s Matt Williams’ first workout as a big-league manager, and you better believe he’s prepared for this.
If you happen to be in the area and plan to attend, here’s an abridged version of today’s schedule. The daily schedule moving forward will be similar to this, at least until the position players officially join the fray on Thursday…
10 a.m. — Stretch
10:15 a.m. — Warm-up
10:45 a.m. — Pitchers throw in the bullpen, plus fundamental drills begin (Among those throwing off the mounds today are Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister and Taylor Jordan. Anyone who doesn’t throw today will throw tomorrow.)
11:40 a.m. — Pitchers conditioning
12 p.m. — Catchers BP
1 p.m. — Early position players BP
We’ll have plenty more throughout the day, so please check back…
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort
- Nats lineup goes silent in loss to Braves
- Fister's rough inning leads to Nats' 4-1 loss to Braves
- New President makes Nationals race debut
- Las Vegas really likes the Nationals in October
- Nats Stock Watch: Rotation continuing to dominate
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves
- Zimmermann sharp as Nationals beat Braves again, 6-1
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta