Feb 15, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Yes, there’s a much more significant sporting event taking place in the world right now — a bunch of Nationals players were glued to the second period of USA-Russia in the clubhouse at Space Coast Stadium, Ross Detwiler and Tyler Clippard chief among them — but there’s also going to be real baseball players doing real baseball things on the field in just a few minutes.
Yes, the first official pitchers and catchers workout of the spring will begin at 10 a.m., on the fields adjacent to Space Coast Stadium. It’s Matt Williams’ first workout as a big-league manager, and you better believe he’s prepared for this.
If you happen to be in the area and plan to attend, here’s an abridged version of today’s schedule. The daily schedule moving forward will be similar to this, at least until the position players officially join the fray on Thursday…
10 a.m. — Stretch
10:15 a.m. — Warm-up
10:45 a.m. — Pitchers throw in the bullpen, plus fundamental drills begin (Among those throwing off the mounds today are Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister and Taylor Jordan. Anyone who doesn’t throw today will throw tomorrow.)
11:40 a.m. — Pitchers conditioning
12 p.m. — Catchers BP
1 p.m. — Early position players BP
We’ll have plenty more throughout the day, so please check back…
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles