Feb 15, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Yes, there’s a much more significant sporting event taking place in the world right now — a bunch of Nationals players were glued to the second period of USA-Russia in the clubhouse at Space Coast Stadium, Ross Detwiler and Tyler Clippard chief among them — but there’s also going to be real baseball players doing real baseball things on the field in just a few minutes.
Yes, the first official pitchers and catchers workout of the spring will begin at 10 a.m., on the fields adjacent to Space Coast Stadium. It’s Matt Williams’ first workout as a big-league manager, and you better believe he’s prepared for this.
If you happen to be in the area and plan to attend, here’s an abridged version of today’s schedule. The daily schedule moving forward will be similar to this, at least until the position players officially join the fray on Thursday…
10 a.m. — Stretch
10:15 a.m. — Warm-up
10:45 a.m. — Pitchers throw in the bullpen, plus fundamental drills begin (Among those throwing off the mounds today are Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister and Taylor Jordan. Anyone who doesn’t throw today will throw tomorrow.)
11:40 a.m. — Pitchers conditioning
12 p.m. — Catchers BP
1 p.m. — Early position players BP
We’ll have plenty more throughout the day, so please check back…
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy