Feb 20, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Though the Nationals have no major injuries throwing a wrench into the early days of spring training, two pitchers are dealing with minor issues that have altered their workout regimens: Tyler Clippard and Ross Ohlendorf.
Clippard has not fully participated in drills the last two days after tweaking his back. The reliever first noticed the issue Tuesday and has taken a cautious route since. He was on the field with his teammates Thursday but held back at some stations.
“It’s just early in spring and I didn’t want to push it,” Clippard said. “I felt a little something, so I was like, why push it? No big deal.”
Ohlendorf, meanwhile, revealed he had some discomfort on his side after first reporting to camp. The right-hander did not throw off a bullpen mound with his teammates during their first two rounds of throwing this week but did pitch Thursday for the first time.
Ohlendorf was restricted to an 8-minute bullpen session while others threw 12 minutes, having had more opportunity ramp themselves up over the last week.
“My side was bothering me just a little bit, but it’s fine,” he said, adding that he “felt good today.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets