Feb 24, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Tyler Clippard threw off a bullpen mound today, showing no ill effects of a minor back injury that had sidelined him nearly a week ago.
“All normal,” the Nationals reliever said. “I mean, I need to iron out some pitching stuff. But physically, I feel good.”
Clippard had been restricted since tweaking his back Tuesday, an injury the right-hander never feared was serious but did benefit from a few days of rest.
“From the get-go, I wasn’t really that worried,” he said. “It was just precautionary stuff, and then the training staff kind of went overboard with it.”
Having participated fully in Sunday’s workout and then thrown his bullpen session today, Clippard is ready to resume a normal spring schedule. Though he’s behind his teammates by several days, he pointed out he already was on a slower timeframe to build up his arm, not needing to stretch himself out like starters and long relievers.
“There’s not really any catching up,” he said. “I was going to be a little behind schedule with everybody else anyway, because that’s just how I like to do it. So there’s really no catching up. I’m just on schedule.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy