Feb 24, 2014, 9:52 AM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Ryan Mattheus will undergo an MRI on his upper chest later today, a test the Nationals reliever hopes reveals only a minor injury that would allow him to resume throwing in a matter of days.
Mattheus hasn’t pitched since Tuesday, when he first felt a pull in his upper right chest while jogging following his bullpen session. It continues to hamper him nearly a week later.
“It’s weird. It’s some sort of rib injury,” the right-hander said. “It really doesn’t bother me with everyday activities, but when I cough or sneeze, then I want to drop to my knees. It’s really painful.”
Team doctors held Mattheus out of workouts for several days, hoping rest alone might resolve the issue, but he still feels the discomfort. X-rays were negative, but he’ll undergo an MRI later today to determine the extent of the injury.
Mattheus said doctors are fairly confident the issue is muscular, perhaps a slight straight of an intercostal muscle.
“It could be really minor,” he said. “Even if it’s an intercostal, that’s 3-to-4 weeks and then you ramp back up. So it’s nothing that’s going to cost me the season or a long period of time. It’s just kind of bad timing right now.”
Serious injury or not, Mattheus was hoping for a more positive start to an important camp for him. The 30-year-old reliever, a key member of the Nationals’ 2012 bullpen, is trying to bounce back from a dreadful season in which he posted a 6.37 ERA, broke his right hand punching a locker in frustration after a poor outing and was demoted to Class AAA Syracuse for a stretch.
Mattheus is just one of several relievers competing for the one or two available spots in the Nationals’ Opening Day bullpen.
“I’m trying to get my name in the competition, so for that sake of it, it kind of stinks,” he said. “Bad timing. But I’ve got to take my time. I can’t really try to pitch through something right now. That won’t do me any good, either. We’ll find out more. Hopefully I’ll have a better answer tonight.”
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal
- Scherzer signing shows Nats' continued growth as a franchise
- History with Rizzo, Williams gives Nats confidence in Scherzer