Feb 26, 2014, 10:02 AM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Christian Garcia was asked the last time he was healthy for spring training, and the Nationals reliever immediately knew the answer: 2012.
“That’s the only spring training that I’ve never gotten hurt,” he said.
Talk about a rough road to travel. Garcia has experienced it all during his nine professional seasons. He had Tommy John surgery twice while in the Yankees’ farm system. He missed all of 2007 and made only six total appearances in 2009 and 2010.
And then, just when it appeared the right-hander was poised to play a significant role in the Nationals’ bullpen last season, he was bitten by the injury bug again. A forearm strain prevented him from appearing in any spring training games last year, and then a lingering hamstring strain sidelined him for all but 11 minor-league games during the regular season.
This spring, though, all has gone well for Garcia. The same electric repertoire he flashed late in 2012, when he posted a 2.13 ERA in 12 September games for the Nationals and earned a spot on their playoff roster, has returned.
For the first time in awhile, and for one of the few times in his entire career, Garcia can enjoy being a full participant in spring training.
“It’s awesome,” he said. “It becomes fun again for me. When you’re fighting injuries and stuff, it’s not as fun. Nobody likes pain. If every time I go out there and tell you it hurts to throw, it’s not going to be fun. So the fact I can go out there and have fun and be myself and pitch, it’s great.”
Garcia, 28, is one of several relievers in the mix for one or two available spots on the Opening Day roster. He’ll get to start making his case Friday when he comes out of the bullpen during the Nationals’ Grapefruit League opener against the Mets in Port St. Lucie.
It’ll be the first big-league spring training game he has pitched since 2009.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera