Feb 26, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals agreed to contract terms with all 17 of their pre-arbitration players on Wednesday, finalizing the entire roster’s 2014 salaries with little disagreement.
Those players, who all have fewer than three years of big-league service time and thus aren’t yet eligible for arbitration, have no official say in their salary figures at this point. But in announcing they “agreed to terms” with all 17, as opposed to “renewing a contract,” the Nationals were able to successfully negotiate with their players rather than impose a particular salary number on any.
All of these players will make the MLB league minimum salary ($500,000) or receive slight raises above that, based on service time and career performance.
Topping the list is Danny Espinosa, who will make $540,000 this season, according to sources familiar with the contract. That’s more than a standard raise from Espinosa’s $526,000 salary a year ago, a show of good faith from the Nationals after leaving the slumping infielder at Class AAA Syracuse in September and preventing him from accruing enough service time to qualify for arbitration this winter.
The other players to signed Wednesday: Ryan Mattheus, Tyler Moore, Xavier Cedeno, Tanner Roark, Taylor Jordan, Jhonatan Solano, Erik Davis, Eury Perez, Christian Garcia, Jeff Kobernus, Sandy Leon, Zach Walters, Aaron Barrett, Sammy Solis, Steven Souza Jr., and Michael Taylor.
The Nationals’ entire 40-man roster is now under contract for 2014.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order