Feb 26, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals agreed to contract terms with all 17 of their pre-arbitration players on Wednesday, finalizing the entire roster’s 2014 salaries with little disagreement.
Those players, who all have fewer than three years of big-league service time and thus aren’t yet eligible for arbitration, have no official say in their salary figures at this point. But in announcing they “agreed to terms” with all 17, as opposed to “renewing a contract,” the Nationals were able to successfully negotiate with their players rather than impose a particular salary number on any.
All of these players will make the MLB league minimum salary ($500,000) or receive slight raises above that, based on service time and career performance.
Topping the list is Danny Espinosa, who will make $540,000 this season, according to sources familiar with the contract. That’s more than a standard raise from Espinosa’s $526,000 salary a year ago, a show of good faith from the Nationals after leaving the slumping infielder at Class AAA Syracuse in September and preventing him from accruing enough service time to qualify for arbitration this winter.
The other players to signed Wednesday: Ryan Mattheus, Tyler Moore, Xavier Cedeno, Tanner Roark, Taylor Jordan, Jhonatan Solano, Erik Davis, Eury Perez, Christian Garcia, Jeff Kobernus, Sandy Leon, Zach Walters, Aaron Barrett, Sammy Solis, Steven Souza Jr., and Michael Taylor.
The Nationals’ entire 40-man roster is now under contract for 2014.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city
- Matt Williams sets the tone for Nats on Day 1