Feb 26, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals agreed to contract terms with all 17 of their pre-arbitration players on Wednesday, finalizing the entire roster’s 2014 salaries with little disagreement.
Those players, who all have fewer than three years of big-league service time and thus aren’t yet eligible for arbitration, have no official say in their salary figures at this point. But in announcing they “agreed to terms” with all 17, as opposed to “renewing a contract,” the Nationals were able to successfully negotiate with their players rather than impose a particular salary number on any.
All of these players will make the MLB league minimum salary ($500,000) or receive slight raises above that, based on service time and career performance.
Topping the list is Danny Espinosa, who will make $540,000 this season, according to sources familiar with the contract. That’s more than a standard raise from Espinosa’s $526,000 salary a year ago, a show of good faith from the Nationals after leaving the slumping infielder at Class AAA Syracuse in September and preventing him from accruing enough service time to qualify for arbitration this winter.
The other players to signed Wednesday: Ryan Mattheus, Tyler Moore, Xavier Cedeno, Tanner Roark, Taylor Jordan, Jhonatan Solano, Erik Davis, Eury Perez, Christian Garcia, Jeff Kobernus, Sandy Leon, Zach Walters, Aaron Barrett, Sammy Solis, Steven Souza Jr., and Michael Taylor.
The Nationals’ entire 40-man roster is now under contract for 2014.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate