Feb 28, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Space Coast Stadium is secure and all Nationals employees are safe after a situation involving a gunman at the Viera courthouse just down the street from the club’s spring training home.
The incident was reported around 10 a.m. when a man with a gun was seen outside the Moore Justice Center. The situation has since been contained, according to Florida Today.
Most of the Nationals are in Port St. Lucie, about an hour south of Viera, for today’s Grapefruit League opener against the Mets, but players, coaches and staff members who aren’t on the trip are at Space Coast Stadium and the adjacent minor-league complex holding their daily workouts without incident.
“The building is secure,” the Nationals said in a statement. “Everyone inside is safe. All gates are secure. Players are on the field or in the clubhouse. We are monitoring the situation.”
UPDATE AT 1:55 P.M. — The gunman was shot and killed by police, according to Florida Today. No other injuries were reported.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes
- Strasburg rocked again during ugly 8-1 loss to Phillies
- Roark ready for Monday start in Chicago
- Strasburg tries to keep Nats rolling vs. Phillies
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising