Feb 28, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Space Coast Stadium is secure and all Nationals employees are safe after a situation involving a gunman at the Viera courthouse just down the street from the club’s spring training home.
The incident was reported around 10 a.m. when a man with a gun was seen outside the Moore Justice Center. The situation has since been contained, according to Florida Today.
Most of the Nationals are in Port St. Lucie, about an hour south of Viera, for today’s Grapefruit League opener against the Mets, but players, coaches and staff members who aren’t on the trip are at Space Coast Stadium and the adjacent minor-league complex holding their daily workouts without incident.
“The building is secure,” the Nationals said in a statement. “Everyone inside is safe. All gates are secure. Players are on the field or in the clubhouse. We are monitoring the situation.”
UPDATE AT 1:55 P.M. — The gunman was shot and killed by police, according to Florida Today. No other injuries were reported.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros