Mar 3, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
While the Washington region gets slammed by a late-winter snowstorm, there is some good news: the Nationals play the Yankees today and the game is on television. MLB Network will carry the broadcast at 1:05 p.m. as Ross Detwiler makes his case for the Nationals’ fifth starter job.
Detwiler will take the mound three days after Taylor Jordan shined in his first spring appearance. The right-hander threw two scoreless innings with just one hit allowed. The competition won’t be decided any time soon, but Detwiler could use a strong outing to set the tone for his audition.
The Nats are starting only one member of their expected Opening Day lineup in Denard Span, as most of their regulars are getting the day off. Bryce Harper is dealing with flu-like symptoms and Jayson Werth has a strain in his right bicep.
The Yankees, on the other hand, are starting many of their marquee players. Derek Jeter will be out there, as will Brian McCann who signed with New York this winter after a long career with the Atlanta Braves.
Enjoy the game…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. NEW YORK YANKEES
Where: Steinbrenner Field, Tampa
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EST
TV: MLB Network
Weather: Clear, 72 degrees, Wind 6 mph
CF Denard Span
2B Danny Espinosa
LF Tyler Moore
DH Scott Hairston
C Jose Lobaton
1B Matt Skole
SS Zach Walters
3B Will Rhymes
RF Eury Perez
(LHP Ross Detwiler)
CF Brett Gardner
SS Derek Jeter
C Brian McCann
2B Brian Roberts
DH Francisco Cervelli
3B Kelly Johnson
RF Ichiro Suzuki
LF Zoilo Almonte
1B Corban Joseph
(RHP Ivan Nova)
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ramos comes through with go-ahead hit against D'Backs
- Ramos' late heroics help Nats top D-Backs, snap losing streak
- Papelbon debuts Ric Flair intro song at Nats Park
- Strasburg feels good after 2nd rehab start
- Mets surge in division; struggle with grammar
- Former SNL star roasts Nats in Half Baked video
- Around the NL East: It's official -- The Mets are here to stay
- Now in 2nd place, Nats not scoreboard watching yet
- Fister's struggles continue, as Strasburg nears return
- Struggling Nats out of 1st place in NL East