Mar 4, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Yes, it’s the Grapefruit League, and it’s March 4, but today’s game in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., is about as good as exhibition baseball is going to get. The Nationals and Braves meet for the second time in four days, and each lineup is stocked with big names.
Bryce Harper, Ryan Zimmerman, Ian Desmond, Adam LaRoche, Wilson Ramos and Anthony Rendon all made the trip from Viera and will get to take their hacks against Atlanta right-hander Kris Medlen. Fredi Gonzalez, meanwhile, filled out a lineup card that might not be all that different from the one he submits on Opening Day in four weeks (minus the DH, of course).
And topping it all off, Stephen Strasburg is on the mound for the Nationals, making his first start of the spring (and his first start since offseason surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow). Good stuff all around.
As you probably know by now, I’m back home in snowy D.C. for two weeks, so no live updates. But please keep up the conversation here as always…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Disney’s Wide World of Sports, Lake Buena Vista
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EST
Radio: MLB.com (Braves’ feed)
Weather: Partly cloudy, 74 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to CF
RF Nate McLouth
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
C Wilson Ramos
2B Anthony Rendon
DH Danny Espinosa
CF Brian Goodwin
(RHP Stephen Strasburg)
RF Jason Heyward
CF B.J. Upton
1B Freddie Freeman
C Evan Gattis
DH Justin Upton
3B Chris Johnson
2B Dan Uggla
SS Andrelton Simmons
LF Logan Schafer
(RHP Kris Medlen)
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city
- Matt Williams sets the tone for Nats on Day 1
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position