Mar 4, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the Grapefruit League, and it’s March 4, but today’s game in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., is about as good as exhibition baseball is going to get. The Nationals and Braves meet for the second time in four days, and each lineup is stocked with big names.
Bryce Harper, Ryan Zimmerman, Ian Desmond, Adam LaRoche, Wilson Ramos and Anthony Rendon all made the trip from Viera and will get to take their hacks against Atlanta right-hander Kris Medlen. Fredi Gonzalez, meanwhile, filled out a lineup card that might not be all that different from the one he submits on Opening Day in four weeks (minus the DH, of course).
And topping it all off, Stephen Strasburg is on the mound for the Nationals, making his first start of the spring (and his first start since offseason surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow). Good stuff all around.
As you probably know by now, I’m back home in snowy D.C. for two weeks, so no live updates. But please keep up the conversation here as always…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Disney’s Wide World of Sports, Lake Buena Vista
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EST
Radio: MLB.com (Braves’ feed)
Weather: Partly cloudy, 74 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to CF
RF Nate McLouth
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
C Wilson Ramos
2B Anthony Rendon
DH Danny Espinosa
CF Brian Goodwin
(RHP Stephen Strasburg)
RF Jason Heyward
CF B.J. Upton
1B Freddie Freeman
C Evan Gattis
DH Justin Upton
3B Chris Johnson
2B Dan Uggla
SS Andrelton Simmons
LF Logan Schafer
(RHP Kris Medlen)
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader
- Nats miffed at Phillies over postponed game
- Harper, Escobar, Span all out of Nats lineup again