Mar 5, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Gio Gonzalez is the last of the projected members of the Nationals’ Opening Day rotation to start this spring, which shouldn’t be interpreted as anything other than the schedule falling this way, lining up the lefty right behind Stephen Strasburg for now.
Gonzalez has nothing to prove this spring; he merely needs to get his work in, build up his stamina and hit the ground running come April. His path begins in earnest today against a split-squad Mets lineup that doesn’t feature too many familiar names.
Jayson Werth also makes his spring debut this afternoon, delayed a couple of days by what the Nationals described as a biceps strain. The veteran right fielder joins just about the entire regular starting lineup, hitting third behind Ian Desmond and ahead of Bryce Harper and Ryan Zimmerman, for whatever that’s worth on March 5.
Enjoy the game and the discussion…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. NEW YORK METS (ss)
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EST
Radio: MLB.com (Mets’ feed)
Weather: Partly cloudy, 71 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Bryce Harper
DH Wilson Ramos
1B Adam LaRoche
Zach Walters Mike Fontenot
C Jhonatan Solano
(LHP Gio Gonzalez)
CF Juan Lagares
RF Kirk Nieuwenhuis
LF Andrew Brown
DH Brandon Allen
2B Wilmer Flores
1B Eric Campbell
3B Zach Lutz
C Taylor Teagarden
SS Anthony Seratelli
(RHP Jenrry Mejia)
12:50 p.m. — Zach Walters, who was scheduled to start at second base today, has been scratched. Mike Fontenot takes over.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder
- Storen leaves game with blister on big toe
- Mets find lefty relief help in trade with Padres
- Jordan gets chance to face Cardinals
- Report: Mets strill trying to trade veteran starter
- Nats trade veteran catcher to Red Sox