Mar 7, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
With Doug Fister sidelined for the time being due to inflammation in his right elbow, the window of opportunity opens for some other members of the Nationals pitching staff. That includes Tanner Roark, who today gets a chance to make his first start of the spring, bumped up to take Fister’s spot instead of appearing out of the bullpen as originally planned.
Roark tossed two scoreless innings of relief against the Yankees on Monday. He remains an intriguing decision for Mike Rizzo and Matt Williams, having shown himself to be effective late last season both as a starter and a reliever. If somebody from the rotation had to be scratched, Roark seems as good an option as can be expected to make an emergency start.
Roark today faces an Astros club loaded with young talent but very short on experience. He’ll be opposed by left-hander Brett Oberholtzer, who has the challenge of going after a Nationals lineup featuring seven regulars.
Charlie and Dave have the call on the radio today. Enjoy the game and the conversation here as always…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. HOUSTON ASTROS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EST
Radio: 1500 AM, 1580 AM
Weather: Windy, 67 degrees, Wind 24 mph out to LF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
LF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
C Wilson Ramos
DH Tyler Moore
2B Jamey Carroll
(RHP Tanner Roark)
CF Robbie Grossman
2B Jose Altuve
1B Marc Krauss
DH Chris Carter
LF Jesus Guzman
RF George Springer
C Carlos Corporan
3B Marwin Gonzalez
SS Jonathan Villar
LHP Brett Oberholtzer
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence
- Markakis to have neck surgery 2 weeks after signing with Braves
- Stephen Strasburg goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Nats, Harper settle on 2-year deal, avoid hearing