Mar 9, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The Nationals made their first round of spring training cuts this morning, re-assigning four players to minor-league camp, including first baseman Matt Skole.
Also re-assigned were catcher Jeff Howell, right-hander Gabriel Alfaro and left-hander Tyler Robertson.
Skole, the organization’s fourth-best prospect according to Baseball America, impressed during his three weeks in camp, hitting .357 (5-for-14) with three doubles, a homer and five RBI. After missing nearly all of 2013 following a rare Tommy John surgery for a position player, the 24-year-old is expected to open the season at Class AA Harrisburg. A strong year could bring him to Washington by September.
Howell appeared in only two games this spring, going 0-for-2 with a strikeout. The 30-year-old catcher spent last season backing up at Harrisburg and Class AAA Syracuse, hitting a combined .259.
Alfaro, 30, pitched two innings this spring, allowing one run on three hits and striking out three. Signed this winter out of the Mexican League, he’ll likely join the staff in Syracuse to open the season.
Robertson, 26, tossed two scoreless ninth innings for the Nationals this spring and wound up recording saves in both instances. The left-hander had a 3.04 ERA in 26 games with Syracuse last season.
These cuts leave the Nationals with 59 players in big-league camp.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent