Mar 9, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
The Nationals made their first round of spring training cuts this morning, re-assigning four players to minor-league camp, including first baseman Matt Skole.
Also re-assigned were catcher Jeff Howell, right-hander Gabriel Alfaro and left-hander Tyler Robertson.
Skole, the organization’s fourth-best prospect according to Baseball America, impressed during his three weeks in camp, hitting .357 (5-for-14) with three doubles, a homer and five RBI. After missing nearly all of 2013 following a rare Tommy John surgery for a position player, the 24-year-old is expected to open the season at Class AA Harrisburg. A strong year could bring him to Washington by September.
Howell appeared in only two games this spring, going 0-for-2 with a strikeout. The 30-year-old catcher spent last season backing up at Harrisburg and Class AAA Syracuse, hitting a combined .259.
Alfaro, 30, pitched two innings this spring, allowing one run on three hits and striking out three. Signed this winter out of the Mexican League, he’ll likely join the staff in Syracuse to open the season.
Robertson, 26, tossed two scoreless ninth innings for the Nationals this spring and wound up recording saves in both instances. The left-hander had a 3.04 ERA in 26 games with Syracuse last season.
These cuts leave the Nationals with 59 players in big-league camp.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals
- Rizzo happy to bring reliever Sean Burnett back to Nats