Nats vs. Yankees — 3/11/14

Mar 11, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

It’s been an awfully quiet spring so far for Jordan Zimmermann, and that’s a good thing. The right-hander has simply gone about his business and begun the process of building up his arm with no disruption and no struggles (he has yet to allow a run in five innings).

Today, Zimmermann makes his third start, and he’ll actually face a legitimate challenge from a Yankees lineup that boasts far more big names than you’d typically expect for a road game 2 1/2 hours away from their home base in Tampa. Jacoby Ellsbury, Brett Gardner, Mark Teixeira and Brian McCann all made the trip. So did CC Sabathia, who gets the start.

The Nationals actually have fewer regulars playing today, with a lineup headlined by Jayson Werth, Wilson Ramos and Ian Desmond. Matt Williams has stacked up a bunch of right-handed hitters to face Sabathia, so it’ll be interesting to see if they come out hacking against the slimmed-down lefty.

Bob and F.P. have the game on TV, but whether you’re watching or not, be sure to join the conversation right here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. NEW YORK YANKEES
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN (live), MLB Network (tape delayed at 9 p.m. EDT)
Radio: None

3B Eduardo Nunez
SS Dean Anna
DH Austin Romine
RF Zoilo Almonte
(LHP CC Sabathia)

1. NatsLady - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM

No Jeter? Way to break Bryce’s heart.

• RPrecupjr - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM

NL, seeing how Bryce isn’t in the lineup either, I’m guessing he’s ok with it. Who knows, maybe they’re at Panera having lunch :)

2. Eugene in Oregon - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM

So it does appear that Kris Medlen is hurt more seriously that the second wave of reports suggestion. Still no decision on surgery, but MLBTR’s summary notes that MRIs on those who have already had one Tommy John surgery are “difficult to read” and then Dr. Andrews will be running more tests “before determining if surgery is required.” Obviously not a Braves fan, but I hate to see any good player get hurt, esp. for the second time.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Sounds like the first opinion is that there is in fact a ligament injury:

Bummer

• therealjohnc - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Well, the ligament is involved – but the faint hope is that the previous surgery makes the MRI hard to read. Still keeping my fingers crossed. I’m for having the Braves at full strength and the Nats winning anyway :-)

3. Eugene in Oregon - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Should read ‘suggested’ not ‘suggestion’ (trying to type with my arm in a sling after a bicycle crash, not that I don’t always need a good copy editor).

• therealjohnc - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Ouch! When cycling, keep the rubber side down. I hope you recover quickly!

4. natsfan1a - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Is there going to be a Derek Jeter drinking game for today’s broadcast? ;-)

Bummer about the crash, Eugene. Feel better. (btw, even a good copy editor needs a good copy editor, imo)

• Section 222 - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:15 PM

double shots if they say “The Captain.”

• natsfan1a - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Good call.

• scnatsfan - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Shots of captain morgan if he says the captain

• natsfan1a - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Soitenly!

5. natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Ryan Zimmerman was interesting. “We didn’t play good defense”.

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:03 PM

That was one of his opening comments on the 106.7 interview they aired today.

He seems to be embracing 1st base or at least he did for the interview.

6. Hiram Hover - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:04 PM

No Jeter, but I see their new catcher is in the lineup. Nice to know the integrity of the game is secure.

• RPrecupjr - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Yeah, but Laz Diaz is behind the plate….so much for integrity :/

7. Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Howdy folks! Long time no chat. I am dismayed to discover that NatsInsider’s new WordPress environment is replete with third-party tracking cookies (e.g., those stored by Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc), and I don’t do third-party tracking cookies in my primary browser (Chrome). I haven’t been able to identify the proper subset of cookies that enables me to simply login, so I”m on Firefox at the moment. I probably won’t be posting as much this season unless I can figure out how to thread the needle on Chrome.

Still, wanted to say hi to all. I’m PSYCHED for the season to get underway! I’ve been reading the posts obsessively in anticipation and so far I really like how Williams is managing the progression through ST.

• RPrecupjr - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM

“On a more personal note, Section222, thanks again for providing those last second additional tickets last season so my dad, my sister, my son and I could attend the first game following the Navy Yard shooting. That was a very meaningful experience for us.”

This is why I love this blog. You would never see this on NJ.

8. Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM

So…I had to come back because JZ has now retired 6 batters with 9 pitches and has thrown 0 balls so far. That’s insane! Go Zinn!

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:45 PM

uh, gameday does not track strikes/balls, just pitches. unless you are at the game and JZ is actually doing what you are saying.

and good to see you back. Hope you solve the problem with chrome.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Hrm…it’s showing pitch counts broken down by balls and strikes for both CC and JZ…

CC Sabathia – #52 LHP
        0-0, 6.75 ERA
        24 Pitches: 16 Strikes, 8 Balls

Jordan Zimmermann – #27 RHP
        0-0, 0.00 ERA
        16 Pitches: 16 Strikes, 0 Balls

???

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM

That’s weird. I thought they did not report balls and strikes. anyways, I guess it is possible for JZ to throw strikes only.

• swang30 - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Yes, gameday does track balls and strikes as called. (not pitch location.) through 3, JZ has thrown 16 pitches, all for strikes or hit into outs. No called balls.

3Ks. 3 groundouts, 2 flyouts, 1 bunt-out

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM

“anyways, I guess it is possible for JZ to throw strikes only.”

This assumes none of the balls that were hit for outs were outside the strike zone, and also trusts the infallible nature of umpiring ;)

• Steady Eddie - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

No, it’s not a real report of the actual number of pitches. Walks show as four balls, no strikes. Strikeouts show as three strikes, no balls. Balls in play show as one strike, regardless of what the actual count was at the time. It’s silly and kind of pointless but that’s how the Game Day part of the app does pitches during spring training.

9. natsfan1a - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Good to “see” you, Eric.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Thanks!

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Er, good to “see” you, too :)

10. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Braun

I thought calling lot of people unhappy with their lives was… Let’s just say I am unhappy with that comment.

• Section 222 - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:55 PM

If you want to dislike Braun even more, read that story. Sorry, but what he did was much worse than Peralta or Cruz.

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I like him as a player. besides defense, he can pretty much do it all. he was my first pick/keeper last season. but his interview is a different story.

• NatsLady - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I hate Braun. I’m going to be one of the people booing. And booing and booing.

And all the crap he did, apologizing to Brewers season-ticket-holders, and his teammates, and the sample-collecter–he NEVER would have done that stuff if he hadn’t gotten CAUGHT. Oh, and he wants to “tell the truth about Biogenesis”? Well, why doesn’t he? And he’s still making a gazillion dollars.

11. David Proctor - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:00 PM

No, gameday does not track balls/strikes. Well, it does, but it’s not accurate.

• David Proctor - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM

He’s thrown 41 pitches, 28 strikes.

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM

who JZ? that seems more reasonable for 9 outs.

• David Proctor - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Yeah

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:05 PM

wow, you tracking his pitches on TV or in person?

• David Proctor - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Neither, Bob and FP said it.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Gotcha…is this just a ST thing or is it inaccurate throughout the season?

• adcwonk - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Gotcha…is this just a ST thing or is it inaccurate throughout the season?

just a ST thing

and welcome back!

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Thanks!

12. Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Agreed that it’s more reasonable, albeit much less exciting ;)

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM

That’s true.

during season, GD is accurate. location may not be, but pitch numbers are all good in the past as far as I know.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Good to know, thanks. I’ve always assumed location and pitch type were at least somewhat questionable.

13. veejh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Looked rough on McClouth’s left hand making that CF diving catch. Hope it’s ok.

14. adcwonk - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM

JZ — 4 IP — 12 straight retired with 4 K’s.

Nice!!

• veejh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Only got to see the 4th, but he looked real good.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Fantastic…is he done for the day?

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Appears so…here comes Storen.

• RPrecupjr - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Yep, Storen in for the fifth and struck out the first two looking, including McCann, who I would boo much more heartily than Ryan Braun.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Ab. so. LUTELY

15. NatsLady - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM

They had a shot of Tyler Moore’s face after that strikeout. He looks worried. Like, “I can’t keep striking out… can’t strike out… can’t strike out…” Relax, kid, you’ll get a major-league job somewhere…

LOL, the Yankees!

16. veejh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Of course, Storen comes in and gives up a triple and a hit. Sheesh.

17. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I wonder if we should check in on Santana, given our own injury scare.

• jd - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:38 PM

yes, I just realized he comes with a QO offer. no thanks!!

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Apparently Fister felt fine after throwing today. Fingers crossed…and assuming that’s the injury to which you’re referring?

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM

yep I was. thanks for the link.

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Great to hear

• David Proctor - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Not worth giving up the first round pick

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:43 PM

you are right. I did not realize that we would have to give up a pick. Man, Burnett as #5 would put met at ease though.

• therealjohnc - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Especially since the Nats have several decent options. The Braves have already checked in on Santana apparently. I’m for them forfeiting a draft pick for an expensive starter of questionable ability (there’s a reason that Santana is the last “name” pitcher on the FA market).

• veejh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Phils waaaaaaayyyyyyyy overpaid, IMO.

18. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I know veejh, but he would be a nice addition I think. I really hope RD achieves his potential this season.

• veejh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:55 PM

drawing a blank on RD.

• veejh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Ross Det. wow…..he hasn’t won that #5 spot yet. Agree?

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I am resigned to the idea that he has won the spot. For some reason, I don’t see Nats going another way.

• sjm308 - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Faraz, we will disagree on this one. 16 million for a year of question marks? We did this last year and it didn’t work. We have 3 young arms who I think will take us much further then Burnett.

• RPrecupjr - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:06 PM

The other issue is that Burnett is a head case/attitude problem and we already have Soriano. That’s one too many already.

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM

once he would win 16-17 games for us, you would change your mind. :P

• RPrecupjr - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Based on what, Faraz? He’s won that many twice in his career – 2008 and 2012. Other than that, he’s never won more than 13. His 162 game average comes out to a 215 IP, W-L 13-12, ERA 3.99, WHIP 1.315, 199K. He’s 37 years old.

Here’s another pitcher: has won 16 games twice – 2008 and 2011, 15 once and 14 three times. His 162 game average: 216 IP, W-L 14-12, ERA 3.74, WHIP 1.186, 184K. He’s 33 years old.

I’d rather have him back…..Dan Haren. He won exactly as many games last year (10) as Burnett did and most of us were none too pleased. Edwin Jackson won that many for us in 2012.

And this spring? Burnett is 0-2, 5 IP, 8 hits, 7 ER, 2K, 1.80 WHIP.

Haren? 0-0, 6 IP, 6 hits, 1 ER, 3K, 1.17 WHIP.

I know, I know….it’s spring training and all. But 37 year old pitchers don’t get better, they get older. We have the young horses to get through this.

So, basically what sjm said, but with more details :)

19. veejh - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:58 PM

T Moore just can’t make contact. Back to back K’s. Poor guy.

20. natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:59 PM

A pattern I am seeing this Spring is moving runners to 3rd where they can score on a productive out. Ramos scores the runner on a groundout. Williams has made a point if emphasis on the importance of manufacturing runs. RBIs off of outs seem to be working.

The Nats lacked situational hitting and sometimes a plan. I hope this continues into the regular season.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:16 PM

From what I’ve read, Williams is a big fan of small ball. There are plenty of signs that he is putting a strong emphasis on that approach, at least in ST. I *really* hope it carries over into the regular season. I’d love to see the Nats playing good small ball all season as a complement to their long ball abilities. I have to think executing both even slightly above average and backed by solid pitching would make it difficult to neutralize the team for long stretches.

• knoxvillenat - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:21 PM

“Williams is a big fan of small ball.”

I prefer the term a former Nats manager gave it, “smart ball”.

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:23 PM

That 3 run a game stat is important but also consider the psyche of the pitchers. Strasburg was getting minimal run support and really doesn’t need much. Get him 3 innings where you score him 1 run each and he will get you a W. Score him 0 or 1 run and it’s a L.

Big innings are great but Ace pitchers want a lead and it doesn’t have to be big. JZim pitches better with a 1 run lead.

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Knoxville, great point. Smart ball worked in 2011 even though that MASN commercial kind of embarrassed Jim. Small ball is thinking small. Anyway, I like Williams philosophy because it works with an athletic team like this where you apply the pressure to the other team.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM

“smart ball” – I like it. In any case, I know the bombast of home runs is more sensational, but I much prefer the pace of the game when it focuses on overall productivity. If the tension is broken by a home-team dinger every once in awhile, all the better ;).

Agreed re: Stras vs. JZim and their respective performance under pressure. JZim really does seem to draw focus from it…

21. sjm308 - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Couple things

Welcome back Eric

Those who wrote earlier about McClouth not having much time in CF might have been correct but I think we will be just fine when he is out there. He has made several very nice plays and has me even more excited about our bench this year. (I know, I know, small sample size, but I would rather see good plays then fumbling & bumbling)

Not sure why any of you wish to have even more pitching and I guess there is never enough but I sure like to think about our youngsters like Jordan & Roark (not to mention Cole & Giolito) over guys like Burnett or Santana. Even if Fister takes his time coming back we have this covered. It is my hope that in the next few years Rizzo does not have to sign anymore pitchers who are on the back end of their careers for ridiculous money.

Go Nats!!

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Yep, welcome back Eric. You are one of the most optimistic commentors here which is needed most of the time seeing the glass 1/2 full.

I chuckle when I see a comment like should the Nats add Ervin Santana. Sure you can never have enough depth but there is also a limit to the cost to the system by overdoing it.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Thanks to you both! I appreciate the kind words natinalsgo…I do have my negative moments, but tend to bow out instead of blowing off steam…it’s optional frustration, after all ;)

sjm, I’m with you re: pitching. I think between Det, Jordan, Roark, and Ohlendorf (assuming his injury isn’t persistent) we can float a long recovery by Fister.

On a related side note, has Stammen, has he pitched yet this ST? Don’t recall seeing anything about him so far…

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM

You were missed when you left amidst the real negativity that had taken over during games.

Now lets find MicheleS, GoSM and Laddie Blah Blah who have all disappeared. I miss the original Woooo Hoooo ®

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Interesting…so many gone, eh?

My disappearance was kind of an accident. After watching every single game up through the break, I realized how relaxed I was *during* the break, then I went hiking around Montana for 10 days right as the games started up again, and then didn’t feel compelled to turn the TV on much when we got back. When I finally did and the Nats were killing it, NI had moved to WordPress and my login woes began.

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I disappeared also. Came back with a new name recently. Was Gonat on the old site.

• sjm308 - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Natsgo – Michelle has been on but just briefly – I, like others miss Ghost and not sure what is up with that.

Stammen has pitched in 3 games so far and will pitch again tomorrow according to Carp & FP
        Just 3 innings but what do you want for spring training?

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I speak to Michele on Twitter and we meet up at games. I miss her daily posts.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Ah! Gonat, right on, good to “see” you!

sjm, thanks re: Stammen…how’s he done so far (and/or any hints re: where to find such info)?

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Thanks. We are having a good time with no Henry or Tracy to debate as the more polarizing players I think Hairston is the only tinder box this Spring. Even Espi as a backup seems to be received with good debate.

• Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:37 PM

true, GoSM is usually back by this time. Can no one check in on him?

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

A bunch of us used to talk to Ghost offline on email. I got no response back. It’s now s*****@outlook.com instead of the s*****@roadrunner.com email. He’s disappeared before and hopefully he’s reading this and starts posting again.

Anyone know how to contact Laddie Blah Blah. I don’t think he got to WordPress.

22. sjm308 - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Just saw our first shift of the spring (not counting that silly 5 infielder thing a few games ago). Maybe we have used it before but obviously there are not that many games on MASN. Its not a huge story but the fact that we shifted the fewest times in the majors last year has me believing that even it is saves just one or two runs it will be a success.

• veejh - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Anything besides Davey’s systemless system is fine by me.

23. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:31 PM

dumpster diving? I don’t think we need to.

24. sjm308 - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Eric – Stammen has pitched 3 innings 3 hits 2 runs era 6.0 (all meaningless I guess). He actually has a 1-0 record. 1 walk/e ks
    you can find all of this on baseball reference.com but wait, if you read an early post of mine about not having confidence in my computer ability I am going to try something.

In the awesome words of MichelleS WooooooHooooo! Thanks to Candide & 1a for their confidence in me.

Go Nats!

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Ah nice, thanks. I didn’t realize b-r tracked ST numbers, too.

I did see the thread about copy/pasting…good work! Glad I could provide a reason ;). Once you’re settled in to your new found ability, I can teach you how to link words!

• sjm308 - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:48 PM

We would need to have a face to face for that. I suggest I bring my laptop, buy you a beer and let you teach away. Problem would be that being old, I would forget everything by the 6th inning.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

lol! It’s actually really easy.
        <a href=”http://www.natsinsider.com”>Words</a>

Hopefully the encoded ” symbols will come through…

To help you remember, you can think of it like
        a = anchor
        href = hypertext reference

You just anchor a hypertext reference to some words.

• Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

PS – not that I’m opposed to meeting up for a beer, but I wouldn’t recommend having a laptop in my vicinity while I’m drinking at the ballpark ;)

• natsfan1a - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Woo Hoo! I’m proud of you, sjm.

25. Eric - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Curly W for the first game I followed on game day this year…fun…

Go Nats!

26. sjm308 - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

OK – one last thought before signing off for the day

We really have some pitching. Again, I realize, small sample size but did you see our arms out of the pen today?

Stange and Delcarman have both pitched well in the majors and the kid the Rays threw in for Karns looks solid as well. Not one of these guys will be with us in April but I hope the vets take the minor league deals and stay with us.
    I am also pulling for Ayala but if they go with 2 lefties I just don’t see where he can make it either.
    You could have a pen in AAA with Mattheus- Barrett-Ayala-M. Gonzalez-Delcarman which to me is just a wealth of riches.

Go Nats!!

27. ArVAFan - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM

For a good laugh, go to MLB.com and pull up the highlight for this game: Anna trips over McCann. Couldn’t have happend to a nicer guy .

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Who is Anna

• natsfan1a - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Dean Anna, was playing infield for Yankees.

That play also provided an opportunity for the first Brian McCann plate-blocking joke of the game, I believe. +1 for Carp on that. :-)

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Oh thanks. I will be watching the replay on MLB at 9pm. Can’t wait to see JZim’s perfect game ;)

• natsfan1a - Mar 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Here’s the play. Unfortunately, the video cuts off before Carp’s joke. ;-)

• RPrecupjr - Mar 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Dean Anna, started at third for the Yanks today. Actually, MCCann tripped over him as they were trying to catch a popup. McCann made the catch with Anna sliding into the back of his legs.

• RPrecupjr - Mar 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Ok, 1a, now I owe YOU one :)

Deuces, can you throw that link to the NIDO spreadsheet up? I want to save the link on my work computer.

• natsfan1a - Mar 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Awesome, my first owed drink of the preseason. :-)

• natinalsgo - Mar 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM

That’s some great video! Thanks

• letswin3 - Mar 11, 2014 at 5:24 PM

McCann threw his mask down the 3rd. base line, and the Yankees 3rd. baseman tripped over it and slid into the back of McCann.

28. Section 222 - Mar 11, 2014 at 4:38 PM

All of the NIDO family of spreadsheets (Drinks Owed, Glossary, How To, Who’s Going, etc.) can be accessed from this site:

If you want to go right to the spreadsheets, they are here:

Enjoy, and thanks again to Sofa and Candide for making them so pretty and user friendly.

Welcome back Eric!

• Candide - Mar 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Had to make a data validation fix in “Who’s Going.” The only acceptable entry in the cells is the letter X – upper or lower case. Anything else will get rejected and pop up an error message at you. The row at the top, just under the game date and opponent, totals up the number of Xs.

Baseballswami put a 2 in one of the cells and it didn’t get added to the total. I’ve changed it to an X.

29. nats128 - Mar 11, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Looks like a solid win today.

30. AlexandriaNatFan - Mar 12, 2014 at 12:39 AM

For what it’s worth, regarding small/smart ball: I asked that exact question of Williams at NatsFest (after I told him I had grown up in LA watching the Dodgers, hehe). His response all but said, “I like small ball because it produces runs and runs produce wins and I like wins.” I like that.