Mar 13, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
We’ve reached that point in the spring where several players are dealing with minor tweaks and other ailments. They say these are the kinds of things they’d play through during the regular season, but on March 13 they figure it’s not worth the risk.
So, the Nationals for the moment are without Ryan Zimmerman (sore shoulder) and Ian Desmond (cut finger, illness). Bryce Harper also is under the weather, but he’s playing today. Nothing wrong with Ross Detwiler, who is on the mound and expected to pitch four innings against the Mets.
Daisuke Matsuzaka — yes, the one and only Dice-K — gets the ball for New York, trying to beat out John Lannan for the fifth spot in the Opening Day rotation. (What would the odds of that competition have been a couple of years ago?) The Mets also will send highly touted prospect Noah Syndergaard to the mound later this afternoon.
No TV or radio coverage today, unfortunately. But please keep the conversation going here as always…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. NEW YORK METS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
Weather: Sunny, 58 degrees, Wind 18 mph out to LF
CF Denard Span
2B Jeff Kobernus
LF Bryce Harper
C Wilson Ramos
1B Adam LaRoche
3B Zach Walters
DH Tyler Moore
SS Danny Espinosa
RF Brian Goodwin
(LHP Ross Detwiler)
SS Ruben Tejada
2B Daniel Murphy
3B David Wright
RF Curtis Granderson
1B Josh Satin
C Travis d’Arnaud
LF Andrew Brown
DH Anthony Recker
CF Matt den Dekker
(RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka)
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lose tough one on walk-off vs. Cubs
- Bryce Harper still doesn't think he's MLB's best
- Nats go for 2 in a row at Wrigley
- Marlins players fail to show up at charity event
- Cubs manager Joe Maddon doesn't get criticism of Bryce Harper
- The Baseball Show: Time to sign Harper to an extension?
- Mets Matt Harvey may be dealing with 'dead arm'
- As Nationals soar, so does dominant Storen
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1
- Nats pregame music choice irks Phillies, they promise payback