Mar 13, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
We’ve reached that point in the spring where several players are dealing with minor tweaks and other ailments. They say these are the kinds of things they’d play through during the regular season, but on March 13 they figure it’s not worth the risk.
So, the Nationals for the moment are without Ryan Zimmerman (sore shoulder) and Ian Desmond (cut finger, illness). Bryce Harper also is under the weather, but he’s playing today. Nothing wrong with Ross Detwiler, who is on the mound and expected to pitch four innings against the Mets.
Daisuke Matsuzaka — yes, the one and only Dice-K — gets the ball for New York, trying to beat out John Lannan for the fifth spot in the Opening Day rotation. (What would the odds of that competition have been a couple of years ago?) The Mets also will send highly touted prospect Noah Syndergaard to the mound later this afternoon.
No TV or radio coverage today, unfortunately. But please keep the conversation going here as always…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. NEW YORK METS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
Weather: Sunny, 58 degrees, Wind 18 mph out to LF
CF Denard Span
2B Jeff Kobernus
LF Bryce Harper
C Wilson Ramos
1B Adam LaRoche
3B Zach Walters
DH Tyler Moore
SS Danny Espinosa
RF Brian Goodwin
(LHP Ross Detwiler)
SS Ruben Tejada
2B Daniel Murphy
3B David Wright
RF Curtis Granderson
1B Josh Satin
C Travis d’Arnaud
LF Andrew Brown
DH Anthony Recker
CF Matt den Dekker
(RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka)
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale
- Zimmermann still trying to find groove
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings