Mar 14, 2014, 12:03 PM EST
While we await word on Doug Fister’s bullpen session in Viera — more specifically, whether or not the right-hander is now ready to pitch in a game again — one teammate who’s fate might well hang in the balance takes the mound in Lakeland.
Taylor Jordan, competing for the fifth spot in the Opening Day rotation, would obviously stand a greater chance of making the club if Fister needs to begin the season on the DL. Jordan has pitched well in three appearances (one start) so far this spring, allowing three runs over seven total innings. Most impressively, he has 11 strikeouts without walking anybody. The young right-hander, though, faces his toughest challenge to date this afternoon, going up against a fearsome Tigers lineup that includes Miguel Cabrera, Ian Kinsler, Torii Hunter and Victor Martinez.
A few Nationals regulars made the trip over, headlined by Denard Span and Anthony Rendon. They’ll take their hacks against Detroit right-hander Rick Porcello. Enjoy the conversation here…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. DETROIT TIGERS
Where: Joker Marchant Stadium, Lakeland
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
Radio: MLB.com (Tigers’ feed)
Weather: Mostly sunny, 68 degrees, Wind 10 mph in from RF
CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Nate McLouth
DH Scott Hairston
C Jose Lobaton
1B Tyler Moore
LF Jeff Kobernus
SS Zach Walters
3B Jamey Carroll
(RHP Taylor Jordan)
2B Ian Kinsler
RF Torii Hunter
DH Miguel Cabrera
1B Victor Martinez
C Alex Avila
CF Austin Jackson
3B Nick Castellanos
LF Rajai Davis
SS Hernan Perez
(RHP Rick Porcello)
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals
- Rizzo happy to bring reliever Sean Burnett back to Nats
- Bryce Harper does not know how to pronounce 'meme'