The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?

Mar 14, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

b326d-harperni_4-22

Last night was this year’s first episode of ‘The Baseball Show,’ a spring training special to get you ready for the new season. Mark joined Rob Carlin and Brent Harris in the Comcast SportsNet studio to discuss the biggest topics surrounding the Nats as Opening Day sits just two weeks away.

In this first clip they talk about the Nationals’ pitching staff and whether there are any questions or concerns given the injuries of Doug Fister and several of their bullpen arms:

In this second video they talk expectations for Bryce Harper as he enters his third major league season. Is this the year Harper breaks out as an MVP candidate?

1. TimDz - Mar 14, 2014 at 9:03 AM

From the last thread (since my comment is actually ON topic for a change):

Watched “The Baseball Show.” Mark seems more comfortable in front of the camera….the pieces on the Nats are well done ….
    However, I have no desire to hear about The Angelo’s, let alone for half the show….

The Angelo’s have more than their share of coverage on MASN. I would like to see CSN have a Nats-centric program….

Mark, is there ANY chance of having JUST a Nats-centric show? I am SURE there is enough material to fill up a half hour show. Since I DVR’d the show, I watched it late last night and fast forwarded through the Baltimore segments…

• bowdenball - Mar 14, 2014 at 9:25 AM

As someone who once sat through an entire episode of Nats Talk with Phil Wood, I would say be careful what you wish for.

• sjm308 - Mar 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Mr. Bowden: while I love our Nationals and feel we honestly don’t get the media attention of other teams in this area, I have to agree with you that the show MASN puts on featuring our Nationals is pretty tough to take. The two guys doing it in Phil’s absence had me turning it off after just a few minutes. While I am not a huge Oriole fan and think their people fawn a little bit too much over their team, it at least is a tad more professionally presented. I guess what I would wish is a more professional version of what MASN does for the Orioles with a Nationals slant. If it is on CSN or MASN it makes no difference. I just want more National coverage and done in a way that I don’t pull out the little hair I have left.

• Mark Zuckerman - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Tim, I’d love to do a full 30-minute show on the Nats. Heck, I’d love to do 60 minutes. Or even better, 2 hours. But that’s not my decision to make.

CSN’s market is the entire mid-Atlantic region, and that includes Baltimore. We cover the Nats and Orioles, the Redskins and Ravens, the Terps and Cavs and Hoyas, etc.

I guess I’d put it this way: If the choice is to have a weekly 30-minute show on both the Nats and O’s, or not to have any baseball show at all, I’d certainly prefer the former.

• TimDz - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM

sjm….I totally agree with you…I am truly waiting for someone on that show to say, “Party on, Wayne.” Very hard to watch that.

Mark….thanks for your candor. You definitely are more comfortable in front of the camera and your knowledge of the game is wonderful. I have no problem with CSN covering Baltimore..I just would like to see two separate broadcasts….

The joy of the DVR is definitely being able to use fast forward….

2. Theophilus T.S. - Mar 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I expect a healthy Harper to have a humungous season at the plate. As I recall, however, he’s been thrown out at third at least twice so far this Spring. Slash lines notwithstanding I can’t help but wonder when he’s going to stop being a dumb-ass teenager. It mars an otherwise very encouraging picture.

• David Proctor - Mar 14, 2014 at 9:50 AM

He’s only been thrown out at third once this spring.

• adcwonk - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I also think that Harper is going to have a humungous season.

As for his getting thrown out at third — hey, that’s what spring training is for. Getting back in physical — and mental — shape. Let him get thrown out now, get a good talking to about how you should never be the 1st or last out at third base, and then avoid the error during the regular season.

3. Chas - Mar 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM

“Are their questions with the Nats starting pitching?”

Who’s questions?

Ask the third baseman, I Don’t Know.

• nats128 - Mar 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Unfortunately we are back to the 4th Spring Training with Ryan Zimmerman with health concerns. Its hard to believe that 2011, 2012, 2013 there were all major health issues. Ryan got through 2010 in decent shape until the abdominal injury at the end of the year. He has only had 3 seasons of 150 games or more out of 8 years and 3 seasons in the 140 game range.

This was supposed to be a healthy year for Ryan and I think in an interview last week he felt great and got a little cocky about his health. Im of the hope that this current ailment is just that he overdid it and hes fine after 3 days of rest.

• natinalsgo - Mar 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Playing in 145 games is 90% of the season. Is that acceptable?

• nats128 - Mar 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Its the quality of the 145 games. Last year RZ was not playing at 100% for much of the season. The year before he was awful until the cortisone shot.

I think it is safe to say that last year for the first few weeks Ryan hurt the team immensely. Those errors were devestating in the games they happened in.

4. nats128 - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP: Doug Fister got through his bullpen session today. Ramos, who caught him, said it went well. Mostly fastballs, a few curves and changes.

• Section 222 - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM

“Got through” doesn’t sound great. Hoping for the best, but I still think he won’t be ready by the home opener.

• Eric - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Hopefully Kilgore will have up a full article about it soon…cautiously holding my breath…

5. Sec 3.14159, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM

A bit OT, but it’s spring, pi is in the sky, and could use a break from this weather–I know I could.

So, Nats on TV, fish and chips and/or CB&C Sunday afternoon. FYI.

“Saturday will be Crazy, Monday will be Crazy. In between come by and fill up on the Best Corned Beef and Cabbage and or Fish and Chips in DC!
    Noon til 8pm

$10 Cash charge at the Door all Day gets you:
    Buffet loaded with Duffy’s Corned Beef and Cabbage and Fish and Chips! (and Tots)

Plus
    $5 Green Beer
    $5 Guinness
    $5 Nutty Irishmen Drinks or Shooters
    $2 Green Jello Shooters

Nats and College basketball on the TV all day.”

• Section 222 - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I’m guessing this is Duffy’s? Should we start calling you Sofa Pi?

• Sec 3.14159, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:59 PM

We really do miss that edit function, don’t we?

Yes, it’s Duffy’s. Didn’t mean to leave out the name, nor include all that promo and menu detail. Just passing along a chance to meet, but it got away from me.

Today being pi day, I’m a little more irrational than usual. Not sure if that makes me pi-sectional.

• natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Ohhh. It’s pi day.

• natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Pi-polar, maybe? :-)

• Section 222 - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Next year is the ultimate pi day — 3/14/15.

6. natinalsgo - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:59 AM

#braves acted fast inking Ervin Santana, even better move now that it seems Beachy likely headed for 2nd TJ surgery on rt elbow.

• adcwonk - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Wow — losing both Medlen and Beachy in the space of about 24 hours?!?!

Yowza!

• adcwonk - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM

(I mean: I knew they both left games w/in 24 hours, but to lose both to TJ in 24 hours – astounding)

• natinalsgo - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Mike Minor is still having his own issues.

That leaves Teheran, Santana, Alex Wood, Freddy Garcia and Hale/Minor for their OD roster with Gavin Floyd available in May/June.

Their position players are exactly the same except for no Sheeriff McCann.

• Eric - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Man, that’s terrible.

7. Sec 3.14159, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Isn’t this Beachy’s second TJ, too?

• Sec 3.14159, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Dang, there’s my first beer to Gonat.
      : /