Mar 15, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright joined Brian Mitchell for a one-on-one interview on SportsTalk Live this week to talk about the new season and his partnership with Mizuno gloves. The first three minutes or so are about the Cardinals and his expectations for them this year, but he then gets into some Nationals subjects.
On Stephen Strasburg, Wainwright referred to him as a “freak.”
“He’s been given an arm from the Gods,” Wainwright said. “He’s a guy who has an arm that everyone is kind of envious of.”
Wainwright was also asked about Bryce Harper, a guy who happens to have a lot of success against the ace. Harper is 8-for-16 vs. Wainwright with two doubles and a home run.
Wainwright said he approached Harper with a question during a Nats and Cardinals series last season.
“‘Hey can you just relax a little bit and let me get through some lineups without you making it so tough?’ We had a good laugh about it.”
Check it out:
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start