Mar 16, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
The Nationals made a minor trade on Saturday night, acquiring infielder Brandon Laird from the Kansas City Royals. The Royals’ return has not yet been announced, but is said to be either a player to be named later or cash.
Laird is the brother of Braves catcher Gerald Laird. He’s 26 years old and a former 27th round pick of the Yankees.
Laird has spent parts of the last three seasons in the majors with a total of 53 MLB games to his name. He debuted with the Yankees in 2011 before playing the last two years with Houston.
In 138 plate appearances Laird holds a career .197 average with six home runs and 16 RBI.
Laird was signed by the Royals as a free agent in November. He appeared in eight spring games with Kansas City this year, going 5-for-13 (.385) with a double and two RBI.
MLB.com first reported the trade.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September