Mar 17, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Apparently content with their current catching depth, the Nationals traded veteran backstop Koyie Hill to the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday for a player to be named later or cash. MLB.com first reported the deal.
Hill signed with the Nationals just over a month prior as a free agent and appeared in 10 spring games with the team. He played well, hitting .385 with three RBI and two walks.
Hill is a 10-year MLB veteran with stints with the Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Cubs and Marlins. He played 18 games last season in Miami and holds a .206 career batting average in 331 total games.
The Nationals signed Hill just over a week before trading for backup catcher Jose Lobaton back in February. Since acquiring Lobaton it was clear who their number one and two catchers would be heading into the season.
Behind Lobaton and starter Wilson Ramos is a crowded group that includes Jhonatan Solano and Sandy Leon. Hill will now compete for a backup catching role in Philadelphia where Carlos Ruiz is the starter.
The Nationals reassigned Hill to the minor leagues earlier in the day.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)