Mar 17, 2014, 6:03 PM EST
Apparently content with their current catching depth, the Nationals traded veteran backstop Koyie Hill to the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday for a player to be named later or cash. MLB.com first reported the deal.
Hill signed with the Nationals just over a month prior as a free agent and appeared in 10 spring games with the team. He played well, hitting .385 with three RBI and two walks.
Hill is a 10-year MLB veteran with stints with the Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Cubs and Marlins. He played 18 games last season in Miami and holds a .206 career batting average in 331 total games.
The Nationals signed Hill just over a week before trading for backup catcher Jose Lobaton back in February. Since acquiring Lobaton it was clear who their number one and two catchers would be heading into the season.
Behind Lobaton and starter Wilson Ramos is a crowded group that includes Jhonatan Solano and Sandy Leon. Hill will now compete for a backup catching role in Philadelphia where Carlos Ruiz is the starter.
The Nationals reassigned Hill to the minor leagues earlier in the day.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres