Mar 17, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Apparently content with their current catching depth, the Nationals traded veteran backstop Koyie Hill to the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday for a player to be named later or cash. MLB.com first reported the deal.
Hill signed with the Nationals just over a month prior as a free agent and appeared in 10 spring games with the team. He played well, hitting .385 with three RBI and two walks.
Hill is a 10-year MLB veteran with stints with the Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Cubs and Marlins. He played 18 games last season in Miami and holds a .206 career batting average in 331 total games.
The Nationals signed Hill just over a week before trading for backup catcher Jose Lobaton back in February. Since acquiring Lobaton it was clear who their number one and two catchers would be heading into the season.
Behind Lobaton and starter Wilson Ramos is a crowded group that includes Jhonatan Solano and Sandy Leon. Hill will now compete for a backup catching role in Philadelphia where Carlos Ruiz is the starter.
The Nationals reassigned Hill to the minor leagues earlier in the day.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'