Mar 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals removed one more name from the mix for the final spot on their bench this morning, optioning infielder Zach Walters to Class AAA Syracuse.
Walters entered camp as a long shot to crack the Opening Day roster, but the 24-year-old did everything he could to make a case for himself with a strong offensive performance. In 15 Grapefruit League games, he hit .379 (11-for-29) with a homer, five RBI and a 1.075 OPS.
Acquired from the Diamondbacks in the 2011 deadline deal for Jason Marquis, Walters broke through last season when he clubbed 29 homers at Syracuse and earned a September promotion to Washington.
But Walters faced stiff competition this spring from fellow infielders in camp, most notably Danny Espinosa, who is expected to make the Opening Day roster as the club’s primary backup infielder.
There does remain one more bench job up for grabs, with Tyler Moore and Jamey Carroll the likely finalists for that position ahead of the only other remaining position players in big-league camp: Jeff Kobernus, Will Rhymes and Brock Peterson.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today