Mar 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals removed one more name from the mix for the final spot on their bench this morning, optioning infielder Zach Walters to Class AAA Syracuse.
Walters entered camp as a long shot to crack the Opening Day roster, but the 24-year-old did everything he could to make a case for himself with a strong offensive performance. In 15 Grapefruit League games, he hit .379 (11-for-29) with a homer, five RBI and a 1.075 OPS.
Acquired from the Diamondbacks in the 2011 deadline deal for Jason Marquis, Walters broke through last season when he clubbed 29 homers at Syracuse and earned a September promotion to Washington.
But Walters faced stiff competition this spring from fellow infielders in camp, most notably Danny Espinosa, who is expected to make the Opening Day roster as the club’s primary backup infielder.
There does remain one more bench job up for grabs, with Tyler Moore and Jamey Carroll the likely finalists for that position ahead of the only other remaining position players in big-league camp: Jeff Kobernus, Will Rhymes and Brock Peterson.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera