Mar 24, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals released veteran catcher Chris Snyder on Monday night, a move that pared their spring training roster down to 33 players with only three days remaining in camp.
Snyder, 33, signed a minor-league contract with the Nationals over the winter, hoping to compete for the backup job to Wilson Ramos and hoping his veteran status would give him an edge over Jhonatan Solano and Sandy Leon.
But once the Nationals traded for the Rays’ Jose Lobaton on the day pitchers and catchers reported for spring training, Snyder’s chances of making the Opening Day roster went from slim to nonexistent.
Snyder appeared in 12 Grapefruit League games, going 5-for-17 with a homer and five RBI. He was permitted to opt out of his contract on Thursday if he hadn’t yet been placed on the big-league roster, but the Nationals went ahead and released him now, offering him more time to sign with another club.
With less than 72 hours until the team breaks camp and heads north, here’s how the Nationals’ spring roster stands…
STARTING PITCHERS (7)
RELIEF PITCHERS (10)
* – Minor-league contract, not currently on 40-man roster
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher