Mar 26, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
JUPITER, Fla. — The Nationals have voided last week’s option of Ross Ohlendorf to Class AAA Syracuse and placed the right-hander on the 60-day disabled list with a right lumbar strain, a move that opened up a spot on the 40-man roster for newly acquired infielder Kevin Frandsen.
Ohlendorf had been demoted to the minors Thursday and was slated to open the season in Syracuse. But the veteran right-hander had been dealing with a back injury all spring and appeared in only two Grapefruit League games, throwing a total of only 13 pitches.
A surprise contributor for the Nationals last season when he went 4-1 with a 3.28 ERA in 16 games (seven starts), Ohlendorf was re-signed over the winter for a guaranteed $1.25 million. He now won’t be eligible to return from the DL until late-May.
This move also cleared up a spot on the Nationals’ 40-man roster, which was given to Frandsen, who earlier today agreed to a $900,000 contract that will make the veteran infielder a member of the club’s Opening Day bench. The Nationals formally announced the Frandsen signing this afternoon.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats