Mar 26, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
JUPITER, Fla. — The Nationals have voided last week’s option of Ross Ohlendorf to Class AAA Syracuse and placed the right-hander on the 60-day disabled list with a right lumbar strain, a move that opened up a spot on the 40-man roster for newly acquired infielder Kevin Frandsen.
Ohlendorf had been demoted to the minors Thursday and was slated to open the season in Syracuse. But the veteran right-hander had been dealing with a back injury all spring and appeared in only two Grapefruit League games, throwing a total of only 13 pitches.
A surprise contributor for the Nationals last season when he went 4-1 with a 3.28 ERA in 16 games (seven starts), Ohlendorf was re-signed over the winter for a guaranteed $1.25 million. He now won’t be eligible to return from the DL until late-May.
This move also cleared up a spot on the Nationals’ 40-man roster, which was given to Frandsen, who earlier today agreed to a $900,000 contract that will make the veteran infielder a member of the club’s Opening Day bench. The Nationals formally announced the Frandsen signing this afternoon.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies