Mar 26, 2014, 7:31 PM EST
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — The Nationals optioned utilityman Jeff Kobernus to Class AAA Syracuse and catcher Sandy Leon to Class AA Harrisburg this evening, moves that in turn finalized their Opening Day roster of position players.
Today’s signing of veteran infielder Kevin Frandsen was the last piece of the puzzle, leaving no available spots for Kobernus and Leon, who both appeared in the Nationals’ 3-2 loss to the Cardinals in Jupiter before being sent down.
Those final moves leave only 13 position players left in big-league camp, the 13 who (barring a last-minute trade or injury) will head north Thursday evening and open the season on the roster.
That group includes Danny Espinosa, whose spot on the team had appeared secure for some time but is now secure. The 26-year-old infielder, who was demoted to Syracuse last season after hitting .158 in 44 games and was never recalled, will most likely make the roster as a backup at both second base and shortstop. Manager Matt Williams hasn’t officially named his starting second baseman, but all indications for weeks have suggested Anthony Rendon will get the job.
With their roster of position players and reliever now set, the only remaining question for the Nationals is the identity of their No. 5 starter, with a decision between Tanner Roark and Taylor Jordan expected to be made Saturday.
Here, then, is how the Opening Day roster will look (aside from that final pitching decision)…
STARTING PITCHERS (5)
Tanner Roark/Taylor Jordan
RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Rivero build off strong rookie year?
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?