Mar 30, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
On the eve of Opening Day 2014, the Nationals made two small moves to help bolster their minor league pitching depth.
The Nats acquired right-hander Omar Poveda from the Chicago White Sox for cash considerations, and signed lefty Aaron Laffey to a minor league deal.
Poveda spent 2013 with the Atlanta Braves’ Triple-A affiliate. In 27 appearance with the Gwinnett Braves, Poveda held a 3.62 ERA in 164 innings pitched. He made 25 starts and struck out 133 batters.
Poveda has spent eight years in the minor leagues since turning pro. He originally signed out of the country of Venezuela as a free agent with the Texas Rangers. Povada has also spent time in the Marlins organization.
Laffey has seven years of MLB experience under his belt, most recently with the Blue Jays. He signed briefly with the Dodgers, Brewers and Orioles since, but did not appear with any of those teams.
Laffey – a native of Cumberland, MD – pitched in five games in 2013, four with the Mets and one with Toronto. He holds a career 4.45 ERA in 153 total MLB games.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win