Apr 1, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Each of the Nationals’ four minor minor league affiliates begin their seasons on Thursday. Here is a look at their rosters for 2014:
Triple-A Syracuse Chiefs
Steven Souza Jr.
Double-AA Harrisburg Senators
Michael A. Taylor
Single-A Potomac Nationals
Single-A Hagerstown Suns
A few things stand out in the roster announcement. Brian Goodwin, the Nats’ top outfield prospect, will try his hand at Triple-A. He has a .265 career average in the minor leagues after signing as a first round pick, and is entering a big year.
Top overall prospect Lucas Giolito will begin the season at Single-A Hagerstown, as will last year’s top pick, Jake Johansen. Hagerstown isn’t as close as Potomac, but a trip up there may be worthwhile for Nationals fans.
Harrisburg features a few of the Nats’ top prospects including Matt Skole, Matt Purke and A.J. Cole. Skole and Cole, in particular, could be September call-ups if they play their cards right. Don’t be surprised if you see either in the big leagues this season.
For Syracuse, just look at their outfield. Between Goodwin, Tyler Moore, Jeff Kobernus, Eury Perez and Steven Souza Jr., that’s a very talented crop of minor leaguers. Most of them will probably find their way to Washington this season, and Goodwin is still a big part of their longterm plan in center field.
What are your thoughts on the Nats’ minor league rosters? See any surprises?
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos