Apr 1, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Each of the Nationals’ four minor minor league affiliates begin their seasons on Thursday. Here is a look at their rosters for 2014:
Triple-A Syracuse Chiefs
Steven Souza Jr.
Double-AA Harrisburg Senators
Michael A. Taylor
Single-A Potomac Nationals
Single-A Hagerstown Suns
A few things stand out in the roster announcement. Brian Goodwin, the Nats’ top outfield prospect, will try his hand at Triple-A. He has a .265 career average in the minor leagues after signing as a first round pick, and is entering a big year.
Top overall prospect Lucas Giolito will begin the season at Single-A Hagerstown, as will last year’s top pick, Jake Johansen. Hagerstown isn’t as close as Potomac, but a trip up there may be worthwhile for Nationals fans.
Harrisburg features a few of the Nats’ top prospects including Matt Skole, Matt Purke and A.J. Cole. Skole and Cole, in particular, could be September call-ups if they play their cards right. Don’t be surprised if you see either in the big leagues this season.
For Syracuse, just look at their outfield. Between Goodwin, Tyler Moore, Jeff Kobernus, Eury Perez and Steven Souza Jr., that’s a very talented crop of minor leaguers. Most of them will probably find their way to Washington this season, and Goodwin is still a big part of their longterm plan in center field.
What are your thoughts on the Nats’ minor league rosters? See any surprises?
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game