Apr 2, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
After an initial X-ray showed no break on Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos’ hand, a second opinion has revealed a fracture in his left hamate bone. Ramos will now undergo surgery and miss 4-5 weeks.
Manager Matt Williams made the announcement Wednesday in a radio interview on 106.7 The Fan. The story was first reported on Monday by Venezuelan TV host Marfa Mata and The Washington Post.
Ramos will now head to the disabled list as Sandy Leon has been called up from Double-A Harrisburg. He will serve as the backup to Jose Lobaton who will start in Ramos’ absence.
Ramos hurt his hand on a foul tip in the bottom of the sixth inning of the team’s season opener on Monday and left the game after feeling pain on a swing in the top of the seventh. Williams told reporters after the game that Ramos’ X-rays showed no fracture, but that he would see the team’s hand specialist in Washington the following day. It was then they discovered the broken hamate bone.
Mark Zuckerman is in New York and will have more on this story once Williams addresses media before the Nationals game against the Mets.
More on this story as it develops…
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs