Apr 2, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
After an initial X-ray showed no break on Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos’ hand, a second opinion has revealed a fracture in his left hamate bone. Ramos will now undergo surgery and miss 4-5 weeks.
Manager Matt Williams made the announcement Wednesday in a radio interview on 106.7 The Fan. The story was first reported on Monday by Venezuelan TV host Marfa Mata and The Washington Post.
Ramos will now head to the disabled list as Sandy Leon has been called up from Double-A Harrisburg. He will serve as the backup to Jose Lobaton who will start in Ramos’ absence.
Ramos hurt his hand on a foul tip in the bottom of the sixth inning of the team’s season opener on Monday and left the game after feeling pain on a swing in the top of the seventh. Williams told reporters after the game that Ramos’ X-rays showed no fracture, but that he would see the team’s hand specialist in Washington the following day. It was then they discovered the broken hamate bone.
Mark Zuckerman is in New York and will have more on this story once Williams addresses media before the Nationals game against the Mets.
More on this story as it develops…
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win