Apr 2, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
After an initial X-ray showed no break on Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos’ hand, a second opinion has revealed a fracture in his left hamate bone. Ramos will now undergo surgery and miss 4-5 weeks.
Manager Matt Williams made the announcement Wednesday in a radio interview on 106.7 The Fan. The story was first reported on Monday by Venezuelan TV host Marfa Mata and The Washington Post.
Ramos will now head to the disabled list as Sandy Leon has been called up from Double-A Harrisburg. He will serve as the backup to Jose Lobaton who will start in Ramos’ absence.
Ramos hurt his hand on a foul tip in the bottom of the sixth inning of the team’s season opener on Monday and left the game after feeling pain on a swing in the top of the seventh. Williams told reporters after the game that Ramos’ X-rays showed no fracture, but that he would see the team’s hand specialist in Washington the following day. It was then they discovered the broken hamate bone.
Mark Zuckerman is in New York and will have more on this story once Williams addresses media before the Nationals game against the Mets.
More on this story as it develops…
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?