[UPDATED] Zimmermann scratched with illness

Apr 3, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

Updated at 12:37 p.m.

NEW YORK — The Nationals were forced to scratch Jordan Zimmermann from today’s scheduled start against the Mets when the right-hander came down with flu-like symptoms, and instead will send Tanner Roark to the mound for their 1:10 p.m. series finale at Citi Field.

Zimmermann became severely ill Wednesday night, according to manager Matt Williams. He was in the Nationals’ training room this morning receiving fluids and was due to return home to Washington early on his own.

“He’s got a fever,” Williams said. “He was up all night throwing up. So evidently he’s feeling pretty under the weather. We’ve had a lot of that this spring, guys feeling sick.”

The Nationals are hoping Zimmermann will feel well enough to start Friday’s home opener against the Braves, but they don’t know yet whether he’ll be able to pitch.

No. 5 starter Taylor Jordan wouldn’t be available to start in Zimmermann’s place because he threw a simulated game Tuesday in an attempt to line him up for his first scheduled start of the season Sunday. Thus, if Zimmermann isn’t better, Williams said he’ll have to use a member of his bullpen (most likely Ross Detwiler) to start against Atlanta.

Detwiler, a starter most of his career who was converted to a reliever only two weeks ago in a somewhat controversial decision, has yet to appear in a game and thus was supposed to pitch at some point in Thursday’s series finale against the Mets. Now, though, Williams will need to hold the left-hander back in case he’s needed to start Friday.

“If [Zimmermann] isn’t ready to go tomorrow, then that’s going to have to be our option, because Taylor wouldn’t be full-rest tomorrow,” the manager said. “But we’ll see how it goes. Get him some good fluids today, get him back home and get him rested up. But he’s feeling bad.”

1. NatsLady - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Hey, stop already with the injuries and scratches! Just finished one report (and my own blog) and here comes another. I gotta do my taxes! (Not to mention the Nats gotta win a penant.)

• Sonny G 10 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM

My sympathies NatsLady. I’m trying to get my taxes out of the way also. :(

2. unterp - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Interesting to see Tanner. Zimnn get well. Go Nats…

3. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Espi in for the Nats hottest hitter. Did Rendon need a rest or does RZim. Is Rendon sick? I’m all for Espi playing but come on.

You always go with the hot hand unless there’s a matchup issue. I didn’t complain about Monday’s or yesterdays lineup as the best 8 were in there, this is a curious move. I would have Rendon at 3rd. Now my hope of course is that RZim goes 4 for 4 since Matty is looking smarter than Keith Law.

• thelatencn - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Ghost, if I ever figure out the virtual drink thingy, I”ll sure post you one.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM

As I always say, good minds thunk alike.

• lphboston - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:09 PM

It’s not curious. It’s insane.
      Rendon is the starting second baseman (or third baseman) for the next decade. Unless he’s sick or injured, he needs to play.

• cayucosbaseballconservancy - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:14 PM

He’s the starting third baseman at least until he hits free agency with Boras. He’s proving he has a corner infielder’s bat. And I’m not sure Zim’s lollipop throws to first are going to be tolerated for very much longer. That shoulder is sore. And it will affect his hitting.

LaRoche is gone after this season they are not going to bring him back for his age 35 season. That would be absurd. Its possible they might go with a Skole since he is able to manage at both third and first base. But its still pretty clear that soon Zim might be able to make those throws and for all we know it might continue to aggravate the previous injuries there.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Or a poor matchup. Just saying.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Like I said, expect MW to say why he took Rendon out.

4. Danny - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I hate that lineup. Only reason to be sitting Rendon better be day game after a night.

• adcwonk - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I’m sure it’s the day-after-night game thing. It’s a marathon not a spring. If anyone needs a break, it’s better against the Mets than against the Braves.

• Nats128 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM

adcwonk, do you sit the youngest righthanded batter or the oldest righthanded batter. It’s Game 3 and the team was off on Tuesday. Your joking right?

“not a spring”

• adcwonk - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM

It’s not what I would do, but I’m trying to guess MW’s logic

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Or a matchup issue. You play the hot hand as long as you can within reason. Rendon plays 3rd base I hear.

• Nats128 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Yes, yes he does.

5. adcwonk - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Re-posting (with an edit) from last thread:

Mets are throwing who I think is their best pitcher (this year) in game three and a sweep will not be easy but man are we hitting and pitching well right now.

Last time Nats faced Wheeler, he threw 6 innings and the Nats only scored one.

But Haren threw six innings of shutout ball! And the Nats went on to win 3-0.

Haren stepped up — let’s see it from Roark!

GYNFG

6. thelatencn - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Boy, you just never know what MW’s lineup is going to be, do you? I understand his commitment to resting people, but why take a guy hitting .400 (Rendon) out of the lineup afte two games?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM

RBI machine too. He’s finding a way on making productive outs too!

7. Candide - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I’m 63 years old, in unremarkable health (either way) for my age and I think I may have had the flu once in my entire life.

Baseball players get the flu – or “flu-like symptoms – all the time.

What’s up with that? Do they swap used Kleenexes or something? Or does breathing all that used tobacco juice off the dugout floor have something to do with it?

Jeezum crow…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I’m going with the conspiracy theory that Rizzo wanted JZim in the Atlanta series.

Speaking of conspiracy theories, some Blog is thinking Soriano hasn’t pitched yet to assure his option doesn’t vest. That’s a funny one.

I’m sure MW will tell us a good tale of why Rendon is sitting.

Do you know when a Manager is lying? When their lips are moving.

• Eric - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I have a funny feeling “flu” is used very loosely here, as it seems to be generally in the US; in any case, I think of “nasty chest cold” and “flu” as being very different things.

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had the flu, as in, influenza. My dad was diagnosed with it once and it absolutely crushed him for 5 days straight. The only thing that’s ever done that to me is antibiotic-resistant strep throat.

• natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Agreed on the terminology. (Da##it, Jim! I’m a skipper, not a doctor.)

I myself tend to get a virus/cold/bug once or twice a year (and I get a flu shot).

• JW - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM

They’re basically living in a Petri dish from February through October. Germs happen.

• NatsLady - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Guys are in close quarters, bringing in who-knows-what germs in from their home cities and their kids. Young teachers have this problem ALL the time, and gradually, as you catch every cold in creation (each virus is different) you get fewer each year–until you retire with a great immune system. ;)

• NatsNut - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I agree that ball clubs will *say* flu-like symptoms all the time, but what it really is is anything from actual flu, to hangovers, to needing a day of rest, to a nagging blister, or anything that may not sound manly enough for a day off.

As soon as I read this I intinctively thought it was strategic in nature. There are many reasons why this switch benefits the team – we already won the Mets series, Roark wont’ have the pressure of home opener, you got our lights out guy in opener and vs. Atlanta. It’s just too easy.

But in general, who cares whether they’re lying or not about this ailment or that?

• natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:59 AM

On the other hand, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

• therealjohnc - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Or it could just be that their work environment is ideal for the spread of germs (large number of people, moist conditions -locker room- etc). There’s a reason school kids get everything that’s going around, and the reasons for athletes in team sports will be simila.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:43 PM

He loves his team, and they love he,
        They’re all as close as teams can be,
        And just because they really care,
        Whatever they have, they share.

Jordan got it from Gio, who gets it every spring;
        He got it from his dad, who sometimes picks up shady things.
        Dad got it first in bulk, but his supply is almost gone,
        He might have gotten more, if it weren’t for Ryan Braun.

(Tom Lehrer’s was better.)

8. cvillegoodtimes - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:32 AM

gotta say I am surprised to see Rendon sitting after his great start to the season!

9. adcwonk - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Wonk’s Thursday’s Tidbits

Astros are 2-0 to start the season, winning two off the Yankees (have I mentioned how much I like reading that?)

Span and Lagares are the only NL hitters with a triple thus far.

Bonifacio went 5-for-7.
    — Which lowered his batting average to .750. (He’s 9 for 12.)

Mariners have scored 8 runs or more in all three games.

The last time the Yankees and Mets both started a season at 0-2 was 1965 (!!).

The five Central teams scored a combined 8 runs yesterday. They got two wins, but that’s because four of the teams were playing each other.

The Nats pitching staff has racked up 31 strikeouts — the most by any team in modern MLB history thru the first 2 games of a season. Or: the Mets are off to an ominous start in 2014, setting a modern MLB record with 31 strikeouts after first two games.

Nats as a team are batting .282, second in the league! ;-) — tied in NL with 4 HR’s. 0 GIDP.

Astros only got four hits yesterday, but beat the Yanks 3-1. Yanks one of only four AL teams that are still winless. (Have I mentioned how much I like writing that? ;-) )

• tcostant - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM

i.e. The last time the Yankees and Mets both started a season at 0-2 was 1965 (!!).

I was a Mets fan back in the day, and in the late 70’s early 80’s they had some crazy streak with winning Opening Day. I’m sure that has a lot to do it this…

• adcwonk - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I was a Mets fan pre-2005, too. Yes, that’s a good point. After losing their first eight straight opening days (starting in 1962), they have — by far — the best opening day record in baseball.

And I think they were a crazy 20-2 in opening day home openers (well, now 20-3 ;-) )

• tcostant - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM

MOG – This was soooooooooooooooooooo funny. I grew up a Mets fan, this is pure gold. Send it to all my friends back home. Still laughing at “If it wasn’t for the bullpen we’d be in first place right now”.

THANK YOU!

• NatsLady - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Oh, gosh, I laughed so much at this. Here’s another one, which I think was posted before, or maybe I got it from Twitter…

How Mets fans feel about the Nats

• Candide - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

That one has a little flavor of Casablanca about it:. :-)

Ugarte: “You despise me, don’t you?”
        Rick: “If I gave you any thought I probably would.”

• Section 222 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Fantastic! I’m partnering with a friend to do fantasy baseball this year for the first time. Somehow we endedu up with an inordinate number of Mets on our team, so I’ll probably be following them more closely this year than ever before. It may be a long year.

• natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Funny, although one could plug in different names and it would fit right in for a number of Nats seasons. :-)

• natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Dang, I meant for that comment to fit in with Candide’s link.

10. Section 222 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Upside of JZnn’s flu: Maybe he’ll pitch tomorrow! Hope so.
    Not happy about Rendon sitting, but Matt seems to have the magic touch with the lineups so far this year. Once we lose a game, I’ll complain, but not today!

• Eric - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM

For the first time, I’m stunned by his move re: Rendinosa. I have to think there’s something.

On a related side note, I was wondering last night if/how often managers match hitters up with a pitcher’s style, as opposed to–or as a way of weighting–matching them up with a specific pitcher.

• Nats128 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Harper is batting 6th and now 2nd. I don’t care about lineup order and also didn’t comment at all on the lineup yesterday. I CARE ABOUT WHO IS IN THE LINEUP!

Ok, I would complain about Desi batting 1 to 3.

• adcwonk - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Harper batting 2d?!

OK, so much for the “hot hand” theory.

Harper was the only one of the nine starters that didn’t get a hit yesterday!

• Eric - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM

For the first time, I’m stunned by his move re: Rendinosa. I have to think it’s match up related.

11. micksback1 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Overall, the first 2 games have been impressive. Last season verse the Marlins in the 2013 openning series, even though team began 3-0, there was little offense. So far all the bats are hitting, exception is Bryce. I hope he gets on track and I believe his awesome throw to the plate last night is a good jump start for him. Gio was great, pitching and with the bat. Drew appears to be back to his 2011 form. Werth is simply locked in and in beast mode. Having said all this, I would hate to be a Mets fan, that is one very bad team, the fact that their 2nd pitcher is 40 years old does not bode well for them. I guess I was way off about the Mets possibly competing for third place in the East.

• Section 222 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Well, there was some offense. Bryce’s two homers in opener, Gio’s homer in the second game, and a six run explosion in the third game, keyed by Werth’s three-run homer and Zim’s two run double. There’s probably a lesson here — sweeping the opening series against a bad team does not tell you what the rest of the season will be like. I’m going to contain my enthusiasm until we sweep the Braves.

And then there’s Zim’s arm.

12. Nats128 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Interesting indeed. I wrote in Spring Training that the Nats could line up JZ and Stras to pitch against the Barfs since Stras could pitch March 31 and again in the Atlanta series anyways and Gio pitches so great in New York they could bump JZ to pitch the DC opener.

I don’t buy the illness cough cough.

13. micksback1 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Not sure why Rendon is sitting, perhaps this is the beginning of Matt Williams resting players during the season. Allthough, it would make more sense to sit one of the outfielders to save their legs before the home openning series? I agree that JZim pitching verse Braves may have also been a factor as well as the old flu bug for sitting

14. philipd763 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM

There must be a mistake in the lineup posted by Mark. If Zimmerman has been scratched, Rendon is obviously playing third base. He’s showing Zimmerman at third and Rendon not playing. Makes no sense!

• micksback1 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

you may be right, that makes sense

• Eric - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

ZimmermaNN is scratched, not ZimmermaN ;)

• micksback1 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM

got it, thanks

• micksback1 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Oh no Eric, i was just saying if williams was going sit one of the out fielders, Span is plaing great

• Eric - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Ah, gotcha (despite the glorious misalignment of WordPress ;) ).

• snerdblurter - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Getting your Zimmerman(n)’s mixed up. Ryan is healthy; Jordan’s the one with the “flu”

15. tcostant - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Nats106 and I were just talking, we are convinced that this move is more about getting Zimm and Stras vs. the Braves, then Zimm not being able to go.

• micksback1 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

agreed, n that note, then why not sit either Span or Bryce today for rest? just a thought

• Eric - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Span? Why would you sit Span? 333/400/778 ain’t cutting it for you? ;)

16. nats2005 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I would bet money that JZ’s flu is a “reward” and he’ll pitch “opening day” for the Nats home opener.

If I was MW, I would have set that rotation before the season started.

So that Nats will send out their “3, 5, and 1″ and the Braves “4, 1, and 2″.

Should be a good series.

Diz

• Nats128 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I suggested this weeks ago and a few people basically told me it was not a good idea. I don’t think 1 person thought it was a good idea then, now you like the idea and think MW should have set it that way. I guess you didnt read my original post.

• nats2005 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Sorry, Nats 128. I didn’t read it, but I would have agreed with you. I don’t get a chance to get on here much.

I would have been ok with Fister starting the home opener, but I still thought that JZ deserved it if he wasn’t getting the opening day start.

Diz

• adcwonk - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM

If you recall, I was pleasantly surprised at the reaction, and called it an intriguing idea.

• adcwonk - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I meant to write: I was pleasantly surprised at the _suggestion_ and told you I found it intriguing.

• Brookstoor - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Jesus christ, why are so many people on this board so obsessed with what they said earlier or how they predicted something ages ago, or what other people said in the past and werr wrong? Do you ever mention it when you may have made a terrible suggestion and you have egg on your face for it, or do you only run it in when you were “right” about something? You are not the only person who suggested manipulating the line up for the Braves series.

• NatsLady - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM

@Brookstoor: It’s one of my PET peeves. I guess they think being right gives them credibility or something. Absolutely drives me crazy! Especially when people hunt through the archives to find stuff from a year or two ago.

• natsfan1a - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Ditto on the “who’s on [topic] first” peeve.

17. philipd763 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Williams has got to be concerned with Harper’s silent bat. This bas been going on from day one of spring training. Have the pitchers found a weakness or is it just in a lengthy slump? Whatever it is, I hope he snaps out of it soon.

• micksback1 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I hope so too, he made a great throw last night and I hope that gets him going. I hope his slump is not due to a bad attitude about batting 6-7 in line up?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Harp was smoking the ball in Viera and in a small sample size BABIP played against him. 3 more hits instead of being outs would’ve looked like a robust Spring Training.

2 days and you are worried? He got knocked in the head. Doesn’t seem MW is concerned. Bryce moved up in the order!

18. ArVAFan - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I think I see the problem. They’ve been playing so well that they’re spreading germs through all those hugs & high-fives. From now on, boys, hand sanitizer in the dugout and bullpen after each high five!

19. philipd763 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Okay, I had the wrong Zim. My bad! My eyes get blinded by Vero Beach’s bright sunlight. That begs the question, why sit your hottest hitter and leading RBI guy? That makes absolutely no sense. I saw Danny a lot in spring training and except for the 2 homer day he looks like the same old Danny to me. Maybe Rendon is ailing too.

20. texnat1 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM

The Nats have said publicly in the last few weeks that Espi was going to get a ton of ABs this year. Obviously a lot of those are going to come from Rendon. My guess is the Nats want to give Danny a chance to win the 2B job next year.

21. Doc - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM

One of these days, Matty’s goofy lineups will catch up to him. Maybe it’s today!

If anybody ‘needs’ to sit, it should be Harps. Bad bump on the head and slump.

Rendon is the glue that holds this offense together.

Is he resting ARen for the playoffs???????

C’mon Williams, get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Eric - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I mean…as much as I am loving Rendon at the moment and find his day off confusing, Werth went 4/5 yesterday, LaRoche is on, all of Span’s hits so far are extra base hits, etc.

I think there’s still a fair bit of glue in there today.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM

MW knows his players better than anyone. I like Leon in there. I think it’s a good day to insert Espinosa. Who sits? Your choice is Desi, Rendon, RZim or LaRoche since none of them play the outfield.

22. water47 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Quick question. I work in Dc but get poor radio reception. If I get MLB at Bat for mobile can I listen to the Nats games or is it only good for out of market games?

• naterialguy - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM

You can listen to Nats games

• Section 222 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM

good anytime, anywhere! best deal around.

• Eric - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM

+1! I made the mistake of buying MLB.tv last year. Total waste of money, as the blackout applies and I live in the Nats viewing area.

The GameDay audio is fantastic, though. Once you have it you can listen on any device that has an Internet connection.

• Eric - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Oh, but note, the AtBat app itself is free and does NOT get you the audio; you have to pay $20 for the audio, which is then available via GameDay and AtBat.

• Doc - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I thought that I heard at some point in the recent past, that the FCC had ruled blackouts illegal.

If they didn’t, they should!

• cayucosbaseballconservancy - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I haven had to pay extra for the audio and the iPhone app in over 2 years? It all comes with the package? With the blackout you still get the audio which is the radio.

If you are in the viewing area it sucks but in a year I think that changes and there will be no blackout.

• Eric - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM

cayoc, the AtBat app can be used for free. This includes no audio or video.

If you buy GameDay audio for $20, you can listen to the radio feeds (no blackouts) via AtBat or mlb.com GameDay

If you buy MLB.TV for $130 (decreases as the season progresses), you get radio feeds (no blackouts) and out-of-market video feeds (in-market-video feeds blacked out).

• NatsNut - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Yes. You’ll get Charlie and Dave. It’s definitely worth it.

• Eric - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Sorry, should’ve replied to you directly with my last post:

AtBat is a free app that does NOT include the audio by default. You have to pay $20 for gameday audio, at which point you can listen to Charlie and Dave via GameDay on mlb.com and via the AtBat app on your mobile device(s)

23. naterialguy - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM

So if Zmann is not able to pitch tomorrow Taylor Jordan cannot pitch due to throwing a simulated game Tuesday. That would mean the bullpen gets the start. I wonder how stretched out Detweiler is?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

If not JZim then probably Det and the pen.

24. sjm308 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Well, I wrote at 9:15 that there could be changes in the line up but I didn’t see Rendon as one of them.

Still not going to question the guy who gets paid to make these decisions but it makes baseball an exceptional game to second guess

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM

My only trepidation is with MW making tough decisions on the veteran core of RZim and Werth.

That Werth interview where he said where he wants to bat has played out in reality all Spring and games 1, 2 and 3.

RZim is in the lineup today over the Nats hottest player. I do question that.

This is a situation to watch but it could be absolutely nothing.

• pdowdy83 - Apr 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Go figure. Zim crushed a homer and had 4 hits today and Danny had 2. MW can do no wrong. Haha

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I called for RZim to go 4-4 and I’m happy with that performance and a win.

25. Sonny G 10 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I need to vent. Bob Carpenter has now twice said that David Wright played baseball for the University of Virginia. This is not correct. David Wright never went to college, he was drafted out of high school and although a contemporary of Ryan Zimmerman and from the same area, its why he has more major league time. Carpenter is probably confusing David Wright with Mark Reyonalds, who did go to UVa and played with Ryan. There, now I feel better.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I thought he referred to David Wright as RZims teammate from Virginia meaning their Tidewater travel team. Did he really say UVA?

• NatsLady - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM

He corrected himself later in the broadcast.

• Faraz Shaikh - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM

it gets on my nerves also when facts that can be looked up by one simple search are thrown out of window. I understand you! ;)

• Eugene in Oregon - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Now that — Messrs, Zimmerman, Reynolds, and Wright — would have been a nice infield. Too bad it didn’t happen.

• naterialguy - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:13 PM

He did correct himself last night during the game stating that wright did not go to UVA.
      So, …there’s that :-)

• Sonny G 10 - Apr 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM

I must have went to the bathroom when he corrected himself. I didn’t hear him. Good to know he finally has it wright. :)

26. langleyclub - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Jordan Zimmerman is the Nats #1 pitcher. So, the Braves will face the Nats #1 (JZ), #2 (SS) and #4.5 (Jordan).

• cayucosbaseballconservancy - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Zimmermann has to get well first. This is an evil flu of a thing they’re talking about. It might last a while. You might see Stras pushed up given the day off. Then Jordan, then either Gio or JZimmnn.

27. NatsNut - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I’ll bet ya’ll a drink on NIDO that Zimmermann pitches tomorrow.