Apr 6, 2014, 12:21 PM EST
The Washington Nationals placed backup outfielder Scott Hairston on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday with a left oblique strain. Tyler Moore has been recalled from Triple-A Syracuse to take his place.
Hairston said he first felt pain on a swing in the Nats’ April 3 game against the Mets in New York. He did have another at-bat in Saturday’s game against the Braves, despite the discomfort.
“I don’t think it’s anything severe,” he said. “I was able to have an at-bat last night without taking myself out of the game. I could have continued to do that, but I was talking to the training staff and we came to the conclusion that it would for the best for me to rest 15 days and see where we’re at after that.”
Hairston said this is the third oblique strain he has had in his 11-year MLB career. In comparison to the other two, this is the least painful.
“This is probably, out of the three times I’ve done it, this is probably the least amount of pain I’ve been in,” he said.
“I’ve had it in the past, so I’m kind of familiar with the recovery time it takes. It’s something, like I said before, you wish you could play through it but sometimes rest is the best thing. You take a lot of swings when you’re a bench guy, you hit a lot during the game in the cage, and sometimes you take it a little too far, and it might have been that.”
Moore was sent to the Syracuse out of spring and played one game there before the promotion. He went 0-for-4 on April 3 against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres