Apr 6, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
The Washington Nationals placed backup outfielder Scott Hairston on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday with a left oblique strain. Tyler Moore has been recalled from Triple-A Syracuse to take his place.
Hairston said he first felt pain on a swing in the Nats’ April 3 game against the Mets in New York. He did have another at-bat in Saturday’s game against the Braves, despite the discomfort.
“I don’t think it’s anything severe,” he said. “I was able to have an at-bat last night without taking myself out of the game. I could have continued to do that, but I was talking to the training staff and we came to the conclusion that it would for the best for me to rest 15 days and see where we’re at after that.”
Hairston said this is the third oblique strain he has had in his 11-year MLB career. In comparison to the other two, this is the least painful.
“This is probably, out of the three times I’ve done it, this is probably the least amount of pain I’ve been in,” he said.
“I’ve had it in the past, so I’m kind of familiar with the recovery time it takes. It’s something, like I said before, you wish you could play through it but sometimes rest is the best thing. You take a lot of swings when you’re a bench guy, you hit a lot during the game in the cage, and sometimes you take it a little too far, and it might have been that.”
Moore was sent to the Syracuse out of spring and played one game there before the promotion. He went 0-for-4 on April 3 against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal