Apr 6, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
The Washington Nationals placed backup outfielder Scott Hairston on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday with a left oblique strain. Tyler Moore has been recalled from Triple-A Syracuse to take his place.
Hairston said he first felt pain on a swing in the Nats’ April 3 game against the Mets in New York. He did have another at-bat in Saturday’s game against the Braves, despite the discomfort.
“I don’t think it’s anything severe,” he said. “I was able to have an at-bat last night without taking myself out of the game. I could have continued to do that, but I was talking to the training staff and we came to the conclusion that it would for the best for me to rest 15 days and see where we’re at after that.”
Hairston said this is the third oblique strain he has had in his 11-year MLB career. In comparison to the other two, this is the least painful.
“This is probably, out of the three times I’ve done it, this is probably the least amount of pain I’ve been in,” he said.
“I’ve had it in the past, so I’m kind of familiar with the recovery time it takes. It’s something, like I said before, you wish you could play through it but sometimes rest is the best thing. You take a lot of swings when you’re a bench guy, you hit a lot during the game in the cage, and sometimes you take it a little too far, and it might have been that.”
Moore was sent to the Syracuse out of spring and played one game there before the promotion. He went 0-for-4 on April 3 against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles