Apr 6, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
After leaving Saturday’s game with pain in his right shoulder, Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman is awaiting the results of an MRI exam as the team gets set to close out their series with the Braves in Washington. Zimmerman does not know his prognosis, but says he has a new level of discomfort since having arthroscopic surgery to repair the AC joint in his right shoulder in October of 2012.
“It’s felt good sometimes, it’s felt bad sometimes, but it’s never really felt like this. That’s why I brought it to the attention of the coaches.”
Zimmerman has had well-documented struggles throwing to first base from third. He committed another error in the fourth inning of the Nats’ loss to the Braves on Saturday, a mistake that proved costly.
Zimmerman expressed frustration with his continued struggles throwing the ball. He won a Gold Glove in 2009 and is otherwise one of the most sound fielding third basemen in the game.
“It’s been a tough two-and-a-half years, or however long it has been. But what can you do? You just have to keep working and trying to get through it,” he said.
Zimmerman is expected to see time at first base this season in case he needs to switch positions some day. On Sunday he was asked if that move will come sooner than expected.
“I don’t know if I’ve really thought about it yet. Obviously I love playing third base and I feel like I’ve been a good third baseman, but we’ll have to assess what is going on and see what we do.”
Zimmerman has not been placed on the disabled list yet. He is out of the Sunday lineup, but still listed on the team’s lineup card. As to whether he will be heading the DL, Zimmerman is unsure.
“It’s not ‘definitely.’ We haven’t even talked about it yet. I don’t even know what the results of the tests are yet. We’ll go through that like we usually do and go from there.”
We should find out more on Zimmerman’s situation after the game, so stay tuned.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres