Taylor Jordan shines in Nationals’ win over Braves

Apr 7, 2014, 9:03 AM EST

Photo by USA Today Photo by USA Today

For his first start of the 2014 season – and the 10th overall in his young MLB career – Taylor Jordan was handed quite the tough assignment on Sunday. The Nationals were facing a sweep at the hands of the Atlanta Braves, and Matt Williams was resting many of his regulars.

Because of injuries and scheduled days off, the Nats’ starting lineup featured Kevin Frandsen, Nate McLouth, Danny Espinosa and Sandy Leon. Denard Span, Bryce Harper and Ryan Zimmerman were out for various reasons, and Wilson Ramos is on the disabled list.

All in all it looked like a spring training lineup, and Jordan was facing nearly a full group of Braves’ regulars. Jordan said he wasn’t concerned with the relative mismatch.

Not at all. Whoever is playing or not, I still have to perform, I still have to do what I’m supposed to do, and that’s put up zeros.”

Williams explained the situation afterwards:

We talked about it a lot during spring that there are going to be days where we want to give guys days off,” he said.

“The hardest thing it’s going to be for the manager is when we’ve lost the last two, but we have to get our guys in there because down the road when we want to have guys pinch-hit, or we want them to start, and they’ve got timing. They feel better about it when they get up to the plate. Today was one of those days. “

Jordan finished with one earned run, six hits, two walks and three strikeouts in 6 1/3 innings. He has now faced the Braves twice in his career, holding a 0.73 ERA across two starts.

Jordan is not sure he knows the secret to solving the Braves, but does have a specific gameplan when approaching their lineup.

“I just try to keep the ball down. My main focus is to get groundballs. I think I did that fairly well today.”

In some respects, Jordan was cruising for much of the afternoon. His pitch count was low and he was keeping the Braves off the board. But at several points Jordan had to navigate through choppy waters to escape high leverage jams.

In the first inning a fielding error by Espinosa put Jason Heyward on first base, but Jordan then got B.J. Upton to ground into a double play. In the second inning the Braves saw two men reach base before another groundball got Jordan out of the frame.

Jordan found trouble in the fourth inning as well. He walked Chris Johnson and Justin Upton with one out before allowing an infield single to Dan Uggla to load the bases. Jordan threw 10 balls in just 18 pitches at one point in the inning. But a key strikeout of Gerald Laird and a groundball by Andrelton Simmons got Jordan out of the jam.

I’m impressed with the way he went about it. He got into a couple of jams, but used his sinker to get out of it.” Williams said.

“It’s what he’s got to do, throw his fastball because it sinks so well. He’s one pitch away from a double play all the time. He pitched well.”

It’s still very early in the season, but avoiding the sweep against the Braves was important to the Nationals. Jordan feels proud to have contributed.

“It was great. I love beating the Braves. Especially them. We needed that. They’re our rivals and it’s great to get one.”

1. Mrsb loves the Nats - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Ghost of Steve M. – Apr 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    Tanner Roark and Taylor Jordan have now both stepped up. Next test is getting deeper into games. Very nice job by both.

=====

This is important (I know, I know Captain Obvious). I was thinking MW was playing with fire by allowing Jordan to go out in the 7th. Granted, he only faced 1 batter (I cant remember who it was but I think he got the K). But Jordan was nibbling and throwing meatballs in the 6th. I thought luck was on his side.

With that said, I think Roark will be the 5th starter becuz I think he can go a little longer, right now. If Ross O was back, then I would say Jordan would have a chance, that way you still have your 2 long innings guys — Ross O and Stammen… wait, is Det the LH long innings guy?

At any rate, yes this is a good problem to have. I was proud and happy for TJ yesterday. He did a marvelous job.

• Brookstoor - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Is it really worth quoting ghost right there? I know everyone here eats up every little thing he says. I guess he has earned it with his spot on “predictions”. Like just the other day he divined that RZimm only had inflammation, what a genius! No one mentions that it was the more likely option…All he said was TJ and Roark stepped up? Isn’t that obvious to anyone who watched the games?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Jealous much Feelwood. Your typical responses. Come up with something original.

• JW - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Actually he said it was scar tissue, which no official source has yet confirmed.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Im sorry, I didn’t know that I could not comment/expound on another posters comment and then give credit to the original poster who bought it up.

Feel free to add some relevant baseball discussion and then maybe someone will give credit to you and your thoughts.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Jw, I actually discussed inflammation and scar tissue and wasn’t playing into the fear factor that Ryan had structural damage like others were espousing.

We also know that Jw is also Fw as in feelwood. Different name, same person.

Good luck to you.

Work on Kilgore’s vocabulary on WaPo, they love you there also.

• Brookstoor - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Not sure what there is to be jealous of, I see a lot more back-patting than actual baseball discussion.

• adcwonk - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Exactly. Your comment seemed like you were jealous of the back-patting.

• Nats128 - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Great post adcwonk! I would quote you adcwonk but wouldnt want to offend brookstor/jw/Feelwood

(Headslap)

2. RickH - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:12 AM

The nice thing is that you can’t go wrong with either Jordan or Roark. And if something happens, the other will be waiting in the wings in Syracuse.

• letswin3 - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I remember a few weeks back (I think they were still in Florida for ST) there was conversation speculating that if Roark won the 5th rotation spot, TJ would go to Syracuse to get regular starts, but that if TJ won the 5th spot, Roark would go to the pen. In looking at the composition of todays pen, I can’t find a guy that would or should be replaced by Roark … so maybe the non-winner (I can’t bring myself to use the word “loser”), regardless of which guy it is, will indeed be back at AAA. I can only echo the praise directed at these two for their work so far, and feel more confident in knowing that there is depth readily at hand.

3. Faraz Shaikh - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:15 AM

wait our aces were supposed to win and TJ’s game was gonna be 50/50. That’s what everyone told me!

Good to be 4-2, instead of 3-3. let’s face off against the hottest NL East team now.

4. jd - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I have an interesting observation. Yesterday many of the regulars here were heaping praise on MW for allowing Blevins to pitch to Freeman instead of going with Clippard especially after Freeman made an out. Notice I say Freeman made an out and not that Blevins retired him. In case we all missed it Freeman hit the ball 400 feet and it’s pretty much a given that the same ball carries out of the park in the summer.

Also, I was shocked at how much negativity was heaped upon Clippard based on 2 bad outings this year, never mind that he’s been by far our best reliever for 3 years. To me, give me Clip over Blevins any day of the week and twice on Sunday whether the hitter is a righty or a lefty.

• Hiram Hover - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I wouldn’t worry too much about the negativity re Clip–I write it off to the angst about this series with the Braves and dropping the first 2.

Look – Blevins is a useful role player in the BP and a good addition by Rizzo. And Clip as you say has proven his value to this team.

Not much point, in my book, of inviting a Clip v Blevins debate – it just means they both get trashed, when we should instead be happy we have them both, and Matty has these options.

• letswin3 - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Damn you’re smart, HH.

• letswin3 - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I wasn’t being facetious there. Your remarks are very smart, and I appreciate you making them.

• Hiram Hover - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Kind of you to say–thanks!

5. nats106 - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Actually, I think he faced more than 1-I believe Alex Wood sacrifice bunted the first batter he faced over to 2nd and he came out for the top of the order (Blevins relieved him). Glad Jordan came up big yesterday.

My takeaways from this weekend:

1)Braves fans are still horribly obnoxious. Anyone there Saturday night into the late innings were “treated” to a wonderful tomahawk chop behind the visitors dugout. Too much for me to take-so I left.

2) Not only can BJ Upton not hit, he can’t bunt either. We were laughing hysterically at his effort that night.

3) Anyone think that our Opening day starter should be Zimmerman first, Gonzalez second and Strasburg 3rd? You earn ace status, not have it given to you. We really needed that win Saturday and he wasn’t up to the task.

4) Last thought and I so hope that I am wrong. During the debacle 4 run inning we were discussing the Red Sox and their surprising run to the WS last year. One made a comment that their season was a fluke and would not be repeated because the team just didn’t stack up well. While I didn’t necessarily agree, it did get me thinking. What if the 2012 Nats season was a fluke? We had a non-existent offense this last year, now rolling into this one. Similarities between the Brewers? Both lost 2 of 3 to a wounded beast who is missing 3 of 5 SPs. We know the Brewers are a mediocre team. Yes, I know it’s early, but what does that say about us? Maybe the wounded beast is most dangerous before he dies, which I am hoping happens to the Braves playoff hopes over the summer..

A much improved school of fish come into town tomorrow. Let’s hope we can put them in their rightful place as upstarts. I’m looking forward to going to the park after doing my own “going yard” yesterday.

• natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Would that be “going yard” as in doing yard work? If that’s the case, I also did so after getting home from yesterday’s game. :-)

• nats106 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Yes, and thank god we have a rain date today, otherwise I would have to go on the DL. haha.

• natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Same here in the rain date. As it is, I’m day-to-day.

• natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I meant to type”on” the rain date, natch.

• DaveB - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I’ve said it before, and will keep on until proven wrong, but I think this “meme” about the Braves rotation being horribly wounded / in shambles is WAY overdone:
      1. People keep saying they “lost” 3/5 pitchers, but Minor already had a rehab start in AA, so is no more “lost” than Fister
      2. They were lucky to be able to replace Medlen with Santana who was virtually equal in fWAR last year while playing in the “tougher” AL. I know he is erratic, but he now has another contract year so will be even more motivated to get a long term contract.
      3. They were well positioned before the Medlen / Beachy injuries with both Wood and Hale emerging well at the end of last year (much like Roark & Jordan for us), In addition, they had already picked up Gavin Floyd for depth, and after the injuries were also able to get Harang (not strong, but will be their 7th pitcher by the end of April as everyone is back)
      As everyone notes, that BP is dominant, and that can also help a lot to hide any flaws that develop in the rotation, since pitchers don’t have to be left in past their effectiveness.
      They have a really good young team, and we will have to play well to keep up.

• nats106 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM

DaveB, all good points-while I don’t disagree with your position, anytime your opponent loses their # 1,2 and 3 pitchers, you need to take advantage if you are going to compete. You can throw Santana into the equation, but he is still getting ready in either the minors or extended spring training or wherever he is. The Nationals did not take advantage, which is my point.

Let’s see what these guys (Brave’s SP’s) do against the Cardinals and Dodgers. If they are still only giving up 2,3 runs a game, then you’ll have been 100% spot on with a better sample size. We’ll find out soon enough-Braves are set to see the Cards in 2 series in May.

• DaveB - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I agree. Just to close the loop, though, Santana is scheduled to pitch for the Braves on Wed., so while he missed one start, because of the early season off days, they were able to go with 4 pitchers till he came back.
        (Also, I’m agreeing with the SSS, but I just saw that those “mediocre” Brewers just swept the WS winning Red Sox, so no evidence yet that the Braves pitching success is just due to weak opponents).

• therealjohnc - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I agree with DaveB on this one; the Braves’ starting five is likely to be solid, although they don’t have an “ace” type unless Santana steps up or Teheran can sustain his sudden rise last year. Where the injuries really hurt them is in depth. On day one of the season they’ve essentially already burned through their depth, so if they have a couple of strains or sprains in the rotation on top of the two TJ injuries then they will be in a world of hurt.

6. Theophilus T.S. - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:41 AM

An out is an out, and getting Freeman out is an out+. God knows if Freeman gets the same swing against a RH (i.e., Clippard) and it goes out of the yard, cold weather or not. Take the stress off Clippard. He’s going to pitch in 70+ games this year. People don’t admit that Clippard doesn’t have chiller stuff — he has a funky motion that makes his 93 mph FB hop on batters like it’s 95-96. Every time he’s out there it’s as much as a plank walk as with Soriano, the difference being Clippard throws strikes and gets away with it. This is the reason you have two quality LHs in the BP. Use ‘em, especially in the 8th, when the finish line is in sight.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I love Tyler, but the fact is, he has not done well against Heyward statistically . Ever. Blevins is the better matchup against him. Just because someone says, with stats backing them up, that one guy doesn’t match up against well doesn’t mean that anybody is trashing Clip, or anybody else.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM

+1 Theo

• jd - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Joe,

my point is that Blevins getting Freeman was as much luck as anything else and the fact that Freeman with a half swing nearly hit the ball out does not prove MW’s decision to have been the correct one.

• masterfishkeeper - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Freeman’s swing against Blevins was interesting. He really didn’t swing all the way through, because he was protecting the plate and was off balance. When he hit, I thought it was going to fall in front of Span. I was shocked it went 390 feet.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I was about to say that, masterfish. I didn’t think that the ball would go that far.

But JD – I think it was a credit to MW for learning his lesson and not having CLip go against Freeman since we saw what happened in that match up a few days prior. Blevins was bought in for that purpose and he accomplished that purpose – he got the out and it worked.

7. adcwonk - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Nice pair of “#5″ pitchers, eh?

Roark: 6 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1-0
    Jordan: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1-0

• knoxvillenat - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM

wonk,

Slight correction, Jordan did not get the win yesterday, Blevins did. Jordan stands at 0-0 but your point of having two # 5 pitchers of this quality is still well made.

• adcwonk - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Good point. Thanks.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Wont go wrong either way….

8. knoxvillenat - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I wasn’t able to watch or listen to the game yesterday but I would like to know how did Espinosa look at the plate? I can see he went 0-3 in the box score but what did his AB’s look like?

• Eric - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM

He looked fine to me. Most importantly, no whiffs. His outs were a slow dribbler and two fly outs.

One thing I noticed in particular was that he busted out what I think might be his new homerun stroke. During the at bat right after Desi’s homer, he took a might swing, but it was nothing like I remember from last year. It was very quick and compact and his next swing for a fly out was nothing like it.

While 0-3 is obviously discouraging, he only has one strike out so far this season over 11 at bats.

Ultimately, yesterday did nothing to change my outlook on the guy: I’m still unconvinced but hopeful.

9. Section 222 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:39 AM

One cloudy lining in yesterday’s otherwise silver sky game — we got only 4 hits and no walks. And among the reserves, only Frandsen (1-3) got a hit. He went 1-3. Our 6-8 hitters, two of them hitting RH, were a complete deadzone:

Espi 0-3
    McLouth 0-3
    Leon 0-3

I hope that playing helped their timing for their next appearance.

• David Proctor - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Yeah, but Mclouth had a 13 pitch AB and lined out to Uggla. Espinosa also made good contact twice. I was encouraged by what I saw from them. Leon is going to be a black hole in the lineup, but he’s not in there to hit. He called a good game.

• Eric - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Even Espi’s home run stroke looked good (his first swing in the at bat immediately following Desi). Super quick and compact, not that weird horizontal rainbow we saw so often last season.

• Hiram Hover - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:15 AM

+1 on that McLouth AB.

• Nats128 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM

All true what you said and Wood is a very good pitcher right now. McLouth had I think a 14 pitch AB smashing a liner that was caught. Bad luck on a good AB happens.

Get used to 2-1 and 3-2 games against the best teams. The difference yesterday was no aggressive mistakes like Friday. Got to like that.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM

It was a 13 pitch AB and started with a 0-2 count and went to 3-2 without McLouth swinging at a pitch. He then fouled off 7 straight pitches before lining out to Uggla.

What it did do was tire out Wood and 2 innings later Wood had lost velo on his 4 seam. His 1st pitch in the 7th iining was a 87mph 4 seamer to Desi that missed the location.

In the 1st inning Wood was throwing 91mph.

Those long ABs usually pay dividends. Good job McLouth.

• bowdenball - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:42 AM

This seems like small sample size run amok. The offense was on fire in New York, it was cold this weekend. Let’s give it at least 2-3 weeks before we have any idea what we’re dealing with here at the plate.

Also I initially clicked “report comment” instead of “reply” by accident. Sorry! I think that’s the second time I’ve done that. Admins, please disregard.

10. NatsLady - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I like the way Williams managed this game, ESPECIALLY one particular move. One that the players will remember.

Dipless Desi’s Day

OK, I won’t make you read my post (but you can).

I loved that MW put Span in on his “scheduled” day off. Not that McLouth was inadequate (and Frandsen did OK), but with Clip, the original flyball pitcher, and your closer coming into a 1-run game, you want your best outfield in play. Winning trumps off-days. Get used to it.

• Nats128 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Im with you. Very good decisions on Sunday. The lineup was strange and didn’t make sense at first. Espi with some uncharacteristic blunders in the field didn’t shake Taylor.

Great use of the bullpen and the small points as you say with a defensive upgrade at the end.

• Brookstoor - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Agreed NatsLady, even on an off day I like the idea of substituting in your top defenders. With a one run lead it’s almost necessary, especially since the Braves manage to put a good amount of base runners on against us through out the game.

• Candide - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I think even after only six games, it’s safe to conclude that MW is not going to be a paint-by-the-numbers manager.

• letswin3 - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:26 AM

The guy looks like an abstract expressionist, so far. But he’s shakin up the art world and stimulating some head-scratchin. He’ll get it …. some progress was already made in back-to-back games.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Everything he did worked… and to our benefit. Its interesting seeing the stark contrast between the former manager and this one… Its gonna be a fun ride…

11. Candide - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Cunegonde was filling out her pre-game scorebook page before we left, and saying words that I guarantee she didn’t learn at Bobtown Road Baptist Church when she goes to visit her mom.

“#$%^!! Where’s Denard???”

“&^%$#!! Harper’s not playing???”

I channeled my inner Seamhead v.2013: “Relax, we got this. It’s your classic reverse lock. You’ll see.”

I wish I was that smart every day.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

HA!

12. Candide - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Thoughts on the replay.

MW went out there twice in the first inning, and it looked like LaRoche told him, the first time, “It was really, really close, skip,” and MW decided not to ask for the replay.

Then in the bottom of the inning, he asked for it on a similar bang-bang play, and lost.

My feeling is, very, very few of those calls at first are going to get reversed. It has to be based on clear and convincing evidence that the ump got it wrong. Seems every time I see the three or four replays of those calls on TV, all I see is the blur of the ball going into the first baseman’s mitt and the runner’s foot simultaneously on the bag. No way to tell from the video if the runner really beat the throw or not. And the announcers always end up saying, “I dunno, it was really close.”

Again, that’s simply not enough to overrule the ump.

I think as the season wears on, managers will challenge those calls less and less.

Mind you, I understand MW’s thinking here. If the Nats win the appeal, they have bases loaded and one out, as opposed to first and second with two outs. So if you’re going to challenge that kind of call, that would be as good a time to do it as any. But it’s still (IMHO) a low-probability-of-success gambit.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Right you are. If Desi was called safe on the field the play would have stood. Unfortunately he was called out and for Desi all the camera angles didn’t help him to overturn the call.

13. Joe Seamhead - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM

This, from the Phillies blog, made me chuckle:
    – Ben Revere was about to catch a line drive hit right at him when it looked like the ball pulled out a gun, shot him and then dashed off into the ivy in centerfield.

• Candide - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:15 AM

OMG… where’s the video for THAT play?

• natsfan1a - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I think that this must be it. The write-up was more impressive than the actual play, imo. :-) That said, I wondered what in the world was going on at Wrigley early in the game when I would glance at the out-of-town scoreboard during lulls in our own game. I guess now I know.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I hadn’t seen the play when I posted the comment from philly. Revere didn’t deserve that dig. There was no way he catches that, much less was it “a line drive hit right at him” if that indeed was the play.

14. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM

The Roark and Taylor Jordan outings are going to be difficult to compare given opponents, weather, park adjustments and the all important scouting.

Tanner Roark now throws the exact repertoire as Strasburg ’14 with 4 seam, 2 seam, change, slider and curve. Roark’s slider is very good and his pitch location precision is excellent.

Taylor Jordan throws the 4 seam, sinker, change and slider. His 2 seam has the late break you want and his slider is improving.

The question on choosing between them will continue to look at long-term success and sinker pitchers who are consistent like Fister with good secondary pitches have great upside. They have lower HRs given up but rely on BABIP and infield defense. The better the defense equals better success if the sinkerballer is doing his job.

Wang was a sinkerball guy and as I would say with him a sinker that doesn’t sink is a stinker.

Don’t be a stinker.

15. Joe Seamhead - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Good description of both of them, and their respective fortes Ghost. They’ve both already pitched well. Enough to win the position. When Fister is healthy you will hard pressed sending either of them down if they both continue at the level they have performed at so far.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Joe, thanks. These guys could pitch on any team in the Majors and the squeeze is the Nats have Stras, Gio and JZim in front of them with Fister close to joining.

These are good problems to have from the days of debating Gorzo, Peacock and Tommy Milone with Wang and Maya and coming up with five #6’s at best.

• Section 222 - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Well, any team except Detroit and LA (once Kershaw is healthy), and maybe Cincy. But still, they are great young guys to have. We’re very lucky.

16. Theophilus T.S. - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I also don’t know what all the fuss is about the Braves’ rotation. Teheran is the goods. Wood looks like he might be a really good pitcher some day but ran out of gas after six. Hale is a rookie and sprinkled rookie fairy dust on the Nats’ bats; next time we shall see. Harang is SOS; Santana may be the second coming of E. Jackson. If you had a good rotation, would you be crossing your fingers for the return of Minor and Gavin Floyd? I doubt it. Among their position players their bench is dreck. One injury and they’ll crumble like a stale Chips Ahoy.

• adcwonk - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Their bullpen, on the other hand . . .

17. adcwonk - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Nats128 – Apr 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM

(Headslap)

Sometimes I love t his place! ;-)

• natinalsgo - Apr 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I didn’t get the joke until I read backwards. Take the trolls and make them into a joke and maybe they go away.

• adcwonk - Apr 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM

;-)

18. Section 222 - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Thanks to those who replied to my earlier comment about the non-production of our bench yesterday. I definitely recognize that you can’t draw conclusions from one game, both because it’s a small sample size and because Wood was very good yesterday. (Of course, we remember the days when every Tom, Dick, or Harry we faced became Cy Young for the day, so there’s only so far you can take that explanation.)

But I’m not panicking and I’m certainly not arguing that McLouth, Frandsen, Leon, and now TyMo shouldn’t get an occasional start. But it’s worth watching because these guys are paid to hit when they come of the bench, not just have good at bats.